You Can Never Have Too Many Confidants or Too Much Laughter (and Money too)

I read that one of the reasons people love TV series like Friends is because the lightning-speed and demanding life we lead nowadays creates a lot of lonely people, or something like that. (I forgot the actual quote, but that's pretty much the idea.) People long to have those Friends. That half an hour of sitcom gives us hope. That sounds quite sad.


It is great to have a friend, a confidant, one you can trust with your deepest, darkest secret and still like you-ish. Or one who'd stand by you whether in the long sales lines or your gazillionth job interview. Or one who you can have silly arguments and coffee with at the same time. One who you can always laugh out loud with. Let alone five!

But we have to laugh the same language now, right? That is, this BS probably won't work anymore should we outgrow each other or just simply change (growing or not).

_____

During the time I worked in a traditional office, I mostly avoided office gossip because I believe there's almost no such thing as a confidant in an office. Plus, gossiping IS tiring.

The pros: You know an office secret is no secret. Whatever you gossip today will haunt you back the next day. So if you don't gossip, you'll have pretty clean hands. EVEN if people gossip about you, trust me, you can keep smiling and be pretty, and they'll only hate themselves for doing that.
The cons: You don't know who your allies are, or you may not have anything to talk about at all. Ha, I know.

(But, of course, at one point I did join the crowd, which I'd like to believe was only for a brief time. Let's consider it a part of, err, career progress? And it didn't make me happy in the end. So, avoid it if you can =D.)

Image: always-friends

Comments