Curtain (1)

My living room looks sad. And people have asked for interior design advice from me. Really, they have.

It probably just needs a quick tweak. So, after taking a few wrong turns to a supposedly very near and familiar place, I was finally in front of rows of huge shelves stacked with hundreds of curtains, with thousands of specs. Yes, specifications.

(About the wrong turns:
The first time: I missed the exit because I had to be on the phone.
The second time: I was trapped at a faulty traffic light, with cars fighting from four directions.
The third time: I simply took a wrong exit. – All valid reasons.)


"So how tall is the panel again?" the helpful sales rep asked.

Yes, how tall is that panel now?

It never occurred to me that we needed to measure the panel first before buying curtains. I thought the measurements were standard?

"The curtains come in either 7, 8 or 9-foot lengths," she added.

Apparently, when buying for sliding doors, it is crucial that you have the measurement right. Too long is ugly, too short is ugly and funny.

Especially for RM300. (Why didn't I buy the suit that I saw last week instead?) Are all curtains this expensive? I've bought curtains before for my bedroom. The recent one that I got from IKEA is one of my favourites. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but I really like it, so all I remember now, it was worth the price.

But these ones in front of me look like... I mean, they don't really make me jump, "OMG these are exactly the types of curtains I'm looking for!" No. These are the types of curtains my aunt would be looking for.

God, I feel like running to IKEA. But it's thousands of kilometres from here right now. I've already had a day today, and please, spare the hassle, the curtains are for my living room, only my TV lives there.

After combing through the whole '50% discount curtains' area, plus one tablecloth, one vase, and RMxxx later, I marched home quite happily because what could go wrong?

Comments