Saturday

I woke up Saturday afternoon morning to a quiet house and missing my mother's nasi lemak again. I've been missing her cooking for the past couple of days.

Since nobody's selling hot, steamy nasi lemak at that hour, I settled for some Finger Licking Good takeaway in front of the TV with a copy of Harper's Bazaar. Though the thing about TV, they are not really showing anything you want to watch during weekends.

At 11PM, I was still thinking about the nasi lemak. So I went to the kitchen feeling ambitious, although my kitchen is not:
- There may be several basic appliances around here, but you may not be able to find two identical plates or cups or forks or spoons, or even a pair of identical chopsticks.
- I accidentally burnt a pot three weeks ago when I left it on the stove, forgot about it and went on the phone for an hour. The smoke from the incident was seen (and smelled) from two floors down. But it still can be used as I've soaked (and scrubbed it like hell) for the following two weeks straight. Last two years, I did lose one pot.
- The whole fridge has the temperature of a freezer. Leave your drink in the veggie section and it will get frozen after five hours.

I've never made nasi lemak. But there's always a first for everything, and it's all common sense, right? Not that I've never cooked anything before. So, the supplies that I have:
- Half a pack of coconut cream that I left in the fridge some time last week (or maybe last month?)
- Rice, oil, one very last and lonely piece of egg, shallots, garlic and some only two-month-old cili giling.
- Unfortunately, there were no anchovies, cucumber, ginger or groundnuts. (Who'd stock up on groundnuts?)

The verdict:
- The pot's pretty big for boiling just an egg.
- I wanted a soft boiled egg but had no idea how long I should boil it to get it right. So it turned out a little bit too soft and half-dishevelled.
- Despite its final look (I don't have the heart to put the picture), I think the nasi lemak tastes ok.

The very short day I had Saturday went by pretty blurry. Perhaps I should get up a little bit earlier on Sunday. Like seven or eight hours earlier.

Comments