Suiting Matters

Does everyone in 'serious line' of work really have to wear suits when meeting clients?

KL is located right on the equator. It's a hot summer day all year long here. It's hot and humid. If you're usually on the go, moving from one client's office to another, climbing stairs etc, an alternative to the poorly ventilated jacket sounds good.

Plus, I can look lost in suits. The wrong types, especially, drown me. Besides wearing coloured shirts or even coloured shoes, I considered adding scarves to make it less boring. But if I'm already in shirts, suits and pumps, with a huge, heavy document bag in my hand, adding scarves or heavy accessories makes me feel like an ice cream truck.

I think good dressing 1) is about comfort 2) takes the occasion into consideration 3) is when things look good on you. It may look good on Kate Moss or on a mannequin, but it has to look good on you too.

So if I stop wearing suits now, will I be losing points with work?

Some days, though, I'd just go with dresses / not so formal jacket / short puff-sleeved white shirt / black shiny skirt / cotton belt with a tiny bow / no jacket -- and it makes me feel 2kg lighter.

Maybe I should have more of those semi-formal, less conservative cut suits or blazers, but ones with good fabric. Which is damn, I can only think of those DKNYs that I saw right now.

Comments