Dress

I am a dresses girl. (Or woman? Lady? At what age again should we stop referring ourselves as a 'girl'?) My favourites are usually the short/cap sleeves, knee-length, pencil-cut, with pretty and minimal details, and definition at the waist.

From time to time, I'd think about dressing years in advance. Living in Malaysia, as a Malay, I realize it probably means I'll have to let go of my dresses eventually. I used to think, haha, this should be interesting. I'm mostly not used to conforming to other people's expectations. How am I going to handle that when the time comes? Will I wail? OMG I have to move out of the country!

I started to look around and study why some 30 or 40-year-olds can still carry a certain style off, and some cannot. Is it because of their background? Their body shape? The way they carry themselves? This is still an ongoing discussion.

Kate Middleton is in Asia this week. I love her Singapore Raoul dress. The fashion world says people are closely following her style not because it's new, but because it's relatable. It's a comforting word, until we realize how subjective that word is. And, of course, because she is now the new member of the British royal family and wears what works on her -- pleated skirts, look simple enough, are not for everyone. It doesn't hurt to have a tall, slim figure, gorgeous hair and a warm smile that seem effortless either. Breathe, people. That hair is not effortless.

- I've never owned anything H&M, only heard about their (supposedly) pretty (and supposedly affordable) clothes online. Will check the store out when it opens in KL this month. But no, I don't do rushing and running and going mad over clothes -- or when shopping for them. That is so 2002. I give way, walk politely and smile like the sunshine.

Comments