Fighting with Robot

Working at home alone also means you don't have anyone to complain to if the printer, PC or the internet is giving you attitude. You have to fix everything on your own.

My printer has been acting up for the past couple of weeks. Sometimes it doesn't want to print. I'd try everything during those times -- checking the cable, feeding the papers carefully with all the love that I could muster -- but it just wouldn't budge. Usually, if something is wrong, a huge HP dialogue box will pop up and let me know the details: run out of ink, run out of paper, can't detect printer etc. But not this time. So I've no idea what it really wants.

One afternoon last week, I was printing things out for a client whom I had a meeting with in two hours' time, and suddenly the printer was at it again. It didn't print the last page! I tried every imaginable way to coax it to cooperate with me but failed.

We all have seen people knock on their TV to fix the reception, right? I need someone to explain to me the logic of that, but I did something abusive as well that day. It was gory.

So I just went for the meeting and somehow managed to skip showing the last page. I went home and switched the printer on, and magically the last page came out. I tried printing another document, and it wasn't working again. Only then did I see a tiny description on the printer's status box that said 'Out of Paper'. What the...? I must have accidentally disabled the usual HP pop-up box that it doesn't come out now. Apparently, I need to be more careful feeding the papers in, so they would go juusttt... into the right slot. I don't know what else to say.

Comments