The September 11 Brand

Especially a few years following the tragic attack, we often heard people start their conversations with "Owh, I was in here or there when it happened," followed by "How it changed my life... " A local theatre celebrity didn't want to be left out. I read a long account of his experience in an interview, which was unfortunately baffling. (The event was horrific, I just found it hard to connect to his story.)

Those were powerful images: the two airplanes crashing into the two towers. Part of the event was viewed live by millions, and the footage has been replayed millions of times around the world. The images of people falling/jumping off the burning towers were equally horrible. God knows how many stories, books, songs, movies and TV shows about September 11 have been written since.

I doubt we'll have enough words to describe this inhumane, devastating event. Then the world responds with anti-terrorism measures and various degrees of fear. Never before I think has Islam been closely and conveniently associated with the words 'terr*r' and 'extr*me'. Airports no longer feel the same. At least for two seconds, a man with a Middle Eastern look and name who can fly a plane makes you freeze.

My thoughts are with the September 11 victims and all other war victims around the world.

Comments