It Shows (1)
Our body tells a lot more stories than our words do. Clever, clever body, often making me trapped. I'm just thankful if mine does not contradict my verbal communication so obviously.
Smiling for two hours straight in a work meeting sometimes tires me out. It's not a pose that I can hold for a very long time, every time. Worse, if I'm also struggling to say all the right things at the same time. I'd almost feel my jaw and the muscles under my eyes cramp. And my eyes would be screaming to blink.
Not that I don't enjoy smiling or talking to these super-kind people, but I'm just human. Sometimes I could not hide my anxiousness -- wondering if I could see any signature at all on the dotted line at the end of the two hours (especially if the conversation has now gone to Alaska and not back), or how do I dash to the next meeting in time if this person won't stop talking soon. I hate to interrupt, especially when people are showing interest. I need interest. Interest feeds me.
Plus, as usual, the longer I stay, the bigger the chance I would f something up.
I must be a good listener then. (It's a blessing, right?) And clients are not just a checklist to me. True, I'm anxious about where this is going and all, but I want to have a good day too. Even if it means what I'll only have is a good conversation. (That explains my paychecks.)
Smiling for two hours straight in a work meeting sometimes tires me out. It's not a pose that I can hold for a very long time, every time. Worse, if I'm also struggling to say all the right things at the same time. I'd almost feel my jaw and the muscles under my eyes cramp. And my eyes would be screaming to blink.
Not that I don't enjoy smiling or talking to these super-kind people, but I'm just human. Sometimes I could not hide my anxiousness -- wondering if I could see any signature at all on the dotted line at the end of the two hours (especially if the conversation has now gone to Alaska and not back), or how do I dash to the next meeting in time if this person won't stop talking soon. I hate to interrupt, especially when people are showing interest. I need interest. Interest feeds me.
Plus, as usual, the longer I stay, the bigger the chance I would f something up.
I must be a good listener then. (It's a blessing, right?) And clients are not just a checklist to me. True, I'm anxious about where this is going and all, but I want to have a good day too. Even if it means what I'll only have is a good conversation. (That explains my paychecks.)
Comments