Nail

I want to show you something gross. It's my bleeding nail (ok, finger).

My bathroom tap is old. The metal plating that covers it has chipped for quite some time now, because who has the time to replace bathroom taps? So, the plating cut my nail and finger Thursday morning.

(Sorry to disappoint you if you were expecting something major, but I promise you it's still gross.)


I tried to pull the chipped plating out using a needle and tweezers, but it went deeper into my skin.

After more blood and pain later, it still didn't come out, so I went to the clinic. Too bad the doctor didn't think this was very life threatening, so he asked (who I supposed was) a nurse to attend to it. I didn't see what she actually did, but after 10 minutes of me trying not to scream, they were positive the whole splinter had come out and gave me some ointment to apply at home. I just agreed as I couldn't bear any more poking. That was RM31, by the way.

One day later, it bled again and still hurt. I told myself it was just the wound, although one part of my brain did argue that if the whole thing had come out, it's not supposed to give you any more pain. The part of me that doesn't want to deal with bad news and inconveniences won and decided to wait for a couple of days.

Unfortunately, it still didn't look good today, and my usual strategy of ignoring things so they would go away on their own didn't work this time. If a doctor can't do the job, let me.

So, for about an hour and a half, I performed a tiny yet very complex surgery on myself using one hand, which was the left one, by the way (I'm right-handed), drilling my nail and making a bigger opening to have a look at the wound. Yes, the chipped metal was very much still in there.


And as an adult who has learned her lesson, I'm going to get to the bottom of this... and be extra careful when using my tap from now on.

Comments