Game of Thrones 8, Episode 2

A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS


This episode has way too many feelings (not feels), and everyone is trying to sort something out as half of them will probably be turning into wights the following day.

Jaime receives an icy-cold-we-should-just-murder-you welcome from Daenerys and Sansa because not only is he showing up empty-handed and admitting that Cersei has never intended to help them, he was also not very nice to the Targaryens and the Starks before. But Brienne comes forward and vouches for him, so he's ultimately allowed to stay. On the other hand, he's practically thanked by Bran for pushing Bran out of the tower years ago.

In the middle of trying to be friends with Sansa, which quickly turns awkward when Sansa asks about the North's status after the war, Daenerys is interrupted with the news of Theon's return. The meeting is friendly, but it is Sansa who gets the huge hug. So, Theon's another one. He was stupid and cruel and an all-around evil, but I kind of have a teeny tiny soft spot for him for helping Sansa. And because that soft spot is also for Alfie Allen and his great acting. So, ok, I smh watching his coffee date with Sansa, but I'll allow this redemption arc to play out.

There are more reunions. Jaime and Tyrion talk about their old, relatively simpler time. Tormund tells Brienne how he would knight her 10 times over eww. There are Beric and the Hound, with the latter no happier than usual, and Sam, Ed and Jon reminiscing their Night's Watch days and their friends who are all dead now.

Drinking by the fireplace waiting for the call time, Tormund is telling the room how he got his last name, Giantsbane *facepalm*, which I'm sure he thinks would impress Brienne. Then Brienne gets knighted. Apparently, not only can a knight like Jaime knight another person, Brienne is also not already a knight?

And there are goodbyes. Grey Worm and Missandei promise to return to Naath when this is over, which totally means they are getting the boot, right? But that would be too easy. If this were Survivor, that sort of conversation would just be a deviation from the actual plot. But this is Game of Thrones, if what happened to Ned Stark did not teach you anything, I don't know what would. I dare you, show. Defy the odds, send Grey Worm and Missandei back to their hometown, intact.

Then there are Arya and Gendry who kind of saying goodbye too, right? No? This is a reunion? Anyway, they have been flirting since they were on the Kingsroad. It's kind of strange to see the internet is so shocked about this. I've already had my trauma when Drogo raped Daenerys, which I think the book says when she was 13. Double that trauma up because apparently people liked Drogo *smh*.

The Mormonts are having some family disagreement on whether Lyanna Mormont should go out and fight, which she will, obviously. And Sam gives Jorah Heartsbane, the Tarlys' Valyrian steel sword, which I googled. I wouldn't remember whoTF Heartsbane is.

And the 🍿 that I've readied since the last episode for the last two Targaryens... But that's not possible, is it? That they are the only two Targaryens left? These people have existed for at least hundreds of years. There are no ninth or twelfth cousins twice removed somewhere?

Anyway, one single other Targaryen is already making this tricky enough for Daenerys. Exiled half the world away, crossed hell and back, and hatched three dragons while at it — still, the job that she has worked so hard for is apparently not hers because of technicality, because there is an ancient rule that says so. Yes, Jon, it's also very convenient that this is according to your brother and your friend.

Then finally, there are the new arrivals: the Night King's army who are now just outside of Winterfell.

I'm as optimistic as the Hound. So I really have no idea how Winterfell is going to win this.

Image: HBO

Comments