Game of Thrones 8, Episode 1

WINTERFELL

WHERE WE ARE AT RIGHT NOW:

1 Jon Snow, his aunt and the rest of their entourage finally arrive at Winterfell, received by Queen Sansa and her now-perpetually-in-pensive-state brother.

"I warned you. The North doesn't easily trust outsiders."
"Lol I have dragons."

"You all notice that Bran looks different, right?"
"Just you wait, Jon."

2 Sansa reunites with her ex-husband Tyrion, reminiscing that one day they went to Joffrey's wedding. Good times. She also makes it clear to Tyrion that she thinks Tyrion is stupid for believing that Cersei will help their fight against the Night King. Yeah Tyrion, it has been three seasons probably since your last ok plan.

3 Daenerys and Sam have a very mother-of-awkward introduction at the library.

"Thanks for helping my friend-who-doesn't-look-like-he'll-get-over-me-ever. I also torched some rich family on my way here."

"It's such an honour to meet you. Oh, what a coincidence. My family is rich too."

Then Sam is tasked by Bran to tell Jon about Jon's Targaryen blood. Eight seasons, 68 episodes later. Finally.

So now Jon Snow can introduce himself with an entire new line of "Sixth of His Name, Protector of the Realm, All of It..." I think this is just a Targaryen thing. They are that extra.

My god. Next week. I love drama 🍿.

4 Theon Greyjoy returns to rescue Yara 💃🏻 — stealthily this time, which is mind-bogglingly rare across all of Westeros and Essos. That's how you attack your enemies, Tormund! Not screaming your arrival.

Yara is now heading to the Iron Islands to take it back from Euron, or maybe she's just going somewhere far — away from these crazy people — while Theon is heading to Winterfell.

5 Euron, one of the last two "Greyjoys with balls", is back at King's Landing with the Golden Company, the sellswords from the Free Cities, with thousands of men and horses but... no elephants? I didn't know there was a possibility for elephants before, but now that I know, I'm disappointed too. Nevertheless, Euron's a true friend and an honoured guest of Cersei now.

6 Bronn is tasked by Cersei to kill Tyrion and Jaime if they survive the war. And speaking of Jaime, he's arrived at Winterfell too, riding alone in a dark cloak, greeted by Bran and the stare™, because if I know people's secrets like Bran does, I'll be staring at them and freaking them out all day for fun too.

7 Also, there is a new cool opening sequence, updated with new locations to look out for!

Image: HBO

Comments