Sorry Future Kids, I've Probably Traded Away One of Your As
These past few weeks were exam result weeks. One of my nieces received her PMR's, and another UPSR's. Both got all As except for one B. We are ok with that. I think. But getting a lot of (if not straight) As has always been our family's growing up... priority(?) At least it feels that way because it's in the conversation a lot. Some won't admit it, but I think that's how it goes in many homes as well, especially these days. I don't think it's a bad goal at all.
When I was younger, more As meant an opportunity for a better future and to change our lives. To me, getting straight As could also mean that you are focused and hardworking and smart about your priority. It could be a proof of your I-can-do-anything attitude.
I've always believed that formal education is important. Going to school and getting a degree are important. If you can afford it and have the opportunity, go get them. They are part of life's learning process. What you do with or after that is a different story and phase. However, as I get older, I realize a lot of other things are often not given equal importance.
If I have a kid, I wouldn't mind trading one of his/her As with grace, compassion, integrity, respect for others, humility, self-awareness, street-smart skills and kind life values. I want his/her vision board to include "To feed one hungry person" next to the number of As he/she wants that year.
Please don't lose any sleep over my plan -- of course, you can be a straight A student and still have those qualities. This is a post which, if asked to choose between a "Perfect Score + An Ugly Take on Life" and "Less Than Perfect Score + Better Ability to Figure Out Life", I'd choose the latter.
Except for UPSR, I was not a straight A student either.
You hear that, universe? I've given away my perfect score. So now give me my Better Ability to Figure Out Life.
When I was younger, more As meant an opportunity for a better future and to change our lives. To me, getting straight As could also mean that you are focused and hardworking and smart about your priority. It could be a proof of your I-can-do-anything attitude.
I've always believed that formal education is important. Going to school and getting a degree are important. If you can afford it and have the opportunity, go get them. They are part of life's learning process. What you do with or after that is a different story and phase. However, as I get older, I realize a lot of other things are often not given equal importance.
If I have a kid, I wouldn't mind trading one of his/her As with grace, compassion, integrity, respect for others, humility, self-awareness, street-smart skills and kind life values. I want his/her vision board to include "To feed one hungry person" next to the number of As he/she wants that year.
Please don't lose any sleep over my plan -- of course, you can be a straight A student and still have those qualities. This is a post which, if asked to choose between a "Perfect Score + An Ugly Take on Life" and "Less Than Perfect Score + Better Ability to Figure Out Life", I'd choose the latter.
Except for UPSR, I was not a straight A student either.
You hear that, universe? I've given away my perfect score. So now give me my Better Ability to Figure Out Life.
Comments