Other People's _____

Photo by Jose Alonso on Unsplash, altered.

When I'm either done or bored solving my own problems, I like to think about others', especially when I'm a little sick like today, which means I have more time to do just that.

_____

I was busy all day Friday. I'd already thought about sitting at my desk, going on the internet for many useless things that night, since 10 in the morning. I reached home that evening, kicked off my bag and shoes with the hugest satisfaction, showered and went to scan Twitter. That was when I, and probably millions others around the world, learned about what was happening in S**dy Hook.

I turned on the news and watched as the horrible event unfolded (a tiny detail each time, the rest was either a repeat / an assumption / a question: typical CNN). The news named a suspect, and people hunted for his Facebook and Twitter accounts. (OMG common sense, people! It's just possible that more than one person has the same name.) It turned out to be the wrong person for both social media accounts in the end, but not before all sorts of angry words had been directed to the accounts first. Facts, false statements, revised statements and various products of miscommunication -- all successfully mixed up into one story.

My thoughts go out to everyone affected by the tragedy. I've watched and read too many of the news, I actually can remember each of the victims' names.

_____

As of 2009, there were 310 million non-military f*rearms owned by Americans, apparently 9 for every 10 persons. What a mind-blowing passion. (We don't say craze because this is America. Several articles I read use the phrase 'America's unique gun culture'.)

I watched in tense fascination as Piers Morgan ripped a pro-gun guy on his show last night. I wanted to say, as a host he should be fairer to his guest by allowing the latter to share his side of argument (I rarely watch the show, I am not sure how the format is like). But I doubt anyone could side with this pro-gun guy anymore once he stood by his statement that "Guns are fun" (referring B*shmaster as the Ferrari of guns).

When you search about gun control in America, comparing it to Japan and Australia, for example, you'll also find many articles where the pro-guns would say something about America having a different culture and history. (This article says that Japan had 11 f*rearms-related h*micides in 2008. America had over 12,000. In 2007, it was 22 in Japan and it was a national scandal!) It reminds me of when we get criticized for our political system, for instance, we'd use words such as history as well.

But other people's culture* is hard to understand, isn't it? It's hard (impossible?) to understand arranged marriages. It's hard to understand why women can't drive or vote or go to school in some countries or even leave the house on their own. I can't understand them. My face feels hot just thinking about it.

(*I don't even understand many of my own.)

Sure, excellent mental health would be a perfect solution, but while you are working on it, why do you make it easy for the "troubled individuals" (and criminals) to have access to guns?

On another note, can we name one kid who died in the US's many drone strikes or even in the over six decades occupation of Palestine? I can't. If only the Palestinians were rich enough to own an international news network and a PR team to broadcast their losses and struggles. One that gets everyone starting their day after -- or a sporting event, or a TV show -- with a prayer and a moment of silence for those kids.

Comments