The Confession
About 20 pages reading it, I knew this was the fiction version of The Innocent Man.
The Confession is a story of Donte Drumm, a young African-American man who was wrongly convicted for murder and detained for nine years on the death row -- a gory account of miscarriage of justice and death penalty.
But since I am a loyal follower, I continued reading it, assuming the ending would turn out exactly like The Innocent Man. Then, of course, I had to scan the last pages to find out the ending.
(Is this the part where it's my social responsibility to warn you that a spoiler is coming in the next paragraph? Because as I've told you, I love spoilers. Ninety-eight percent of the time, I wouldn't watch a movie or read a book without knowing exactly how it ends. Why wait?)
So let me help you...
No, the ending was the exact opposite of The Innocent Man. So it was worth the 400 over pages.
Grisham was so obvious in this book, painting the characters that we are not supposed to like with stinky traits, and it was hilarious. There is no grey area, you'll know which characters you are supposed to hate.
And just like most parts of Dead Man Walking -- still one of my favourite movies till today -- the book made me rethink about capital punishment. If you ask me if I can see the argument for it, I'd probably say yes. But if it gets abolished entirely, I'd support that too. Then I'm reminded again of the crimes people do these days: how people kill other people for reasons that are impossible to process, and how drugs ruin a society. Obviously I'm not even 1/10 educated about it, but I don't think I'll ever have a straight answer either.
About the Innocence Project
Image: jgrisham.com

Comments