Flood and Cold

I'm in sleep pants, t-shirt, socks, and a long cardigan right now -- on the sofa, in front of the TV, with blanket and laptop on my lap and feet on the coffee table -- not feeling very well.

It's the sore throat, the one that you get at the beginning of a cold. Feels like there's a dark force* gripping my throat and squeezing and rubbing it against sandpaper.

Not really complaining since this is probably only my third cold in seven years.

(*I've just discovered Harry Potter movies. Prepare to hear me gushing rambling about it. And now I feel the need to include a lot of Harry Potter details in my everyday conversation.)

So here I am, still in KL, and not at my hometown helping my parents cleaning the house.

If you read my tweets, my parents' house in kampung is affected by last week's flood that hit Johor. And I heard it was worse than the one we had back in 2006, the only other time our house was flooded since we moved to this place. Flood is pretty common in my hometown during the monsoon season, but we rarely get the severe ones. Usually, only the plantation areas are affected. Most of the housing areas are almost always spared except, of course, in 2006 and the last week.

If I feel better by tomorrow morning, I might go back to my hometown.

We felt so helpless last Monday for not being able to be with and help our parents. By the time we heard about the rising water, all roads home were closed and the whole district was already an island. Can't bear the thought of my parents carrying the fridge and washing machine into my sister's room (the kitchen is a bit lower, whereas one of my sisters' rooms is built higher than the rest of the house). If it was the same as what happened five years ago, I imagine the water rose very quickly.

Last I heard, even that room was flooded in the end. We were not able to call them often as the power was out, and they were saving the last few bars on the phone. But I'm sure my parents got help from our kind neighbours.

I'm grateful that they are safe. Just had a 20-second conversation with my father this afternoon, and things seem okay. My parents don't have a lot, but they are two of those people who'd count their blessings rather than mishaps every time.

I actually did not want to write more about the flood since I already have a long tweet about it. I wanted to write about some other random things.

It's 11+ now. I hope this is only a false alarm and the sore throat will be gone by tomorrow morning, if not the next hour.

Anyway, thank you, life, for still being kind to me.

Good night.

Comments