Sharing on the Internet
"The spelling! How come your friend didn't get arrested already with her spelling?"
"What? Everyone understands them."
"NOO. And look, does anyone realize how public this is? Since when are we sharing private jokes and stories with our neighbours, and cousins, and ex-schoolmates that we only spoke 2 and 1/2 words to in school? This one, didn't you hear how huge an a**hole he was in school?"
"And this was... 12 years ago, right...?"
"This girl, and that neighbour... we have never spoken to them all our lives, why are we letting them know the inside scoop now?"
"You ---- have never spoken to them."
"You are missing the point. Aren't people keeping things to themselves anymore these days? Aren't some of these rants or photos or stories or exchanges... sacred, or something?"
"These are just normal photos and conversations."
"What happens to private e-mail, SMS and phone calls?"
"We evolve. This is 2011."
"If I see one photo or story of mine go into your Facebook, I'm going to sue!"
Alright, I blog... but I've been careful with personal-stuff posting, right? Right? Or is this only my imagination? Am I no different? There were many times when I felt like posting about family, but I refrained myself because I thought, 'No, this is not something we make public,' even if it was just a silly joke. I don't care if others do it, I'm just surprised that these people that I know are willing to share a lot more on the internet than I thought they would. Ok, it scares me a bit too.
"What? Everyone understands them."
"NOO. And look, does anyone realize how public this is? Since when are we sharing private jokes and stories with our neighbours, and cousins, and ex-schoolmates that we only spoke 2 and 1/2 words to in school? This one, didn't you hear how huge an a**hole he was in school?"
"And this was... 12 years ago, right...?"
"This girl, and that neighbour... we have never spoken to them all our lives, why are we letting them know the inside scoop now?"
"You ---- have never spoken to them."
"You are missing the point. Aren't people keeping things to themselves anymore these days? Aren't some of these rants or photos or stories or exchanges... sacred, or something?"
"These are just normal photos and conversations."
"What happens to private e-mail, SMS and phone calls?"
"We evolve. This is 2011."
"If I see one photo or story of mine go into your Facebook, I'm going to sue!"
Alright, I blog... but I've been careful with personal-stuff posting, right? Right? Or is this only my imagination? Am I no different? There were many times when I felt like posting about family, but I refrained myself because I thought, 'No, this is not something we make public,' even if it was just a silly joke. I don't care if others do it, I'm just surprised that these people that I know are willing to share a lot more on the internet than I thought they would. Ok, it scares me a bit too.
Comments