Morning

This morning before I left for work, I saw an article about the elevator pitch -- how would you describe yourself in three words. Just the kind of question my next client would suddenly ask, one that would also make me jump in my seat. Three words are brief. You know off the top of your head, you want to say smart, fabulous and right, but who claims to be smart, fab AND right at the same time?

Describing yourself, especially in a work setting, is tricky. We want to sell our good qualities and do not want to come off as delusional too. We also often confuse this with 'what I want people to perceive me as'. It's safe to conclude, however, that we officially have no flaws.

I need to bug my friends with this kind of thing. So while waiting, I texted Jones:

"What should I say if I'm asked to describe myself in three words at work? (Don't say lazy, grumpy and cold.)"

She replied with:

"1) Determined 2) .........."

The first one... sounds nice. And could be true too. I believe I have shown some determination, be it in completing some assignments or just looking for that pair of shoes that was out of stock in the first three stores that I went to.

But the second one has me side-eyeing the screen. Though she did try to put it in a good light, adding that it's (supposed to be) a good quality, I AM NOT what she described me as. Really. It was in my head throughout the meeting. She has some explaining to do and should have some regrets, too, answering the question. Now don't say the three words are Usually in Denial.

Comments