The Day I Knew I Was Athletic

I've known my friend Jones for ages. After A-Levels, she studied in Uni A while I went to Uni B and stayed in Town C.

During studies, I always had a part time job -- retail rep, admin work at an advertising company, filing, data entry, coordinating customer loyalty programme at a cosmetic company, waiting tables.

So this was when I was in Uni B and had this waiting tables job during weekends that I had to commute to by train, and take a 10-minute walk between my house and the train station.

My boss would usually put me in the morning shift because he knew the 10-minute walk was on a quiet, dark road. And Town C is known as a bit of a dodgy town. Once, I was walking home at around 7 from work, and there were several men fighting, screaming and beating each other by the roadside five metres away from me!

However, one day, I had to work late. Fortunately, Jones came to visit that evening, so she waited for me at the restaurant and we went home together.

We reached Town C's train station at 11 and started walking home. While we were approaching the quietest part of the road, we realized that there was a huge truck slowly moving behind us. We crossed the road, pretending we didn't notice the truck but, of course, it was still following us.

Then we reached the junction to my house. I didn't want to show this crazy driver where my house was. So we decided to do what we were not known to do well: run. On the count of three, with a few seconds to lose the truck as it was crossing the road, we sprinted towards the other row of the houses, got into someone's porch, hid behind the wall, and... the owner of the house had to have a dog, which must have destroyed its vocal cords that night barking at us.

The ending of the story was, we were safe. The truck, which did make a few rounds unsuccessfully looking for us, left after a few minutes. If anyone ever doubts my athleticism.

Comments