Rare, Quiet Weekend
It was a good weekend at home (parents' place). It was December last year. My mother cooked delicious food after delicious food the entire weekend, and I volunteered and helped her in the kitchen a lot, which is a very rare event except in recent one / two years. Yes, I spent the first many years of my adult life NOT helping my mother in the kitchen unless I've already been summoned three times with some threatening words involved.
One morning after I finished preparing the ingredients, I sat in the kitchen with my book, coffee and a tiny bowl of cekodok pisang while my mother was making soto. (I made the cekodok, a limited edition just for the cooks.) It was a nice, quiet morning. I drove her to the grocery shop after that. It was cold and drizzling outside, and everyone was still sleeping. We went to the town for more grocery shopping and coffee in the afternoon with my sisters, stopped by for durians and had easy conversations the entire weekend.
Had a really nice (and hilarious) five-minute conversation with my father too -- that I can't remember what it was about now. All I remember is it was a good one. I think we were discussing M*ddle East and I*rael or something.
One morning after I finished preparing the ingredients, I sat in the kitchen with my book, coffee and a tiny bowl of cekodok pisang while my mother was making soto. (I made the cekodok, a limited edition just for the cooks.) It was a nice, quiet morning. I drove her to the grocery shop after that. It was cold and drizzling outside, and everyone was still sleeping. We went to the town for more grocery shopping and coffee in the afternoon with my sisters, stopped by for durians and had easy conversations the entire weekend.
Had a really nice (and hilarious) five-minute conversation with my father too -- that I can't remember what it was about now. All I remember is it was a good one. I think we were discussing M*ddle East and I*rael or something.
Comments