Movies
Movies from the awards season (+more) that I want to see. Will update when watched.
~ 27 Feb.
Didn't manage to watch more. Still hope to find Beginners, Extremely Loud..., We Need to Talk About Kevin, My Week With Marilyn, A Better Life and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
~ Dec.
The Tree of Life
Watching the trailer, I'd kind of expected what this movie was going to be like, but watching the movie makes it real.
Twenty minutes into it, I officially got even more judgey: this must be a movie made by a group of people who rarely shave and dress sloppily, and whose conversations are only understood by one another. They must have actually come up with a good story -- of a complex relationship between a son and his father -- but decided to throw in some randomly shot (but beautiful!) nature images that they've already had in their cameras as well. You know, who cares if they look like out of place.
The cinematography for the actual movie, the parts where there are actual people moving, is amazing, by the way. The nature shots are great too, but I seriously can't treat them as part of the movie.
Shame
Probably my favourite this year. Blogged about it here.
The Way Back
It's a story of a group of POWs who escaped from a Soviet Siberian camp during WWII. It's inspired by The Long Walk, a book by Sławomir Rawicz, which he claimed was based on his own experience. (There's a controversy surrounding the validity of the book -- whether it was actually someone else's account or even a true story at all.)
I've wanted to see this movie for a long time but didn't have the courage to. While I do have an inexplicable love for depressing movies, it does come with the two sides of my brain debating whether I should watch them or not. I had a feeling it would remind me of Andersonville, this brutal movie about a POW camp during The American Civil War. Turns out, The Way Back is not as depressing as I thought it would be. (Jim Sturgess of 21 and The Other Boleyn Girl plays the main character.)
How long and tough is 6,500km, by the way? Not very. Just from Siberia to India -- through the Gobi Desert, Tibet and the Himalayas -- on foot, under extreme weather, with very little food and water.
War Horse
I haven't seen The Artist yet, but I'm positive this is The Artist for horses.
The Descendants
I used to imagine Hawaii only as beautiful beaches and grand, green hills. Stepping on its ground must feel like stepping on another planet where the water is green and blue, and people don't have to go to work and/but live happily ever after. Hawaii in The Descendants looks almost depressing, quiet and mundane.
~ 27 Feb.
Didn't manage to watch more. Still hope to find Beginners, Extremely Loud..., We Need to Talk About Kevin, My Week With Marilyn, A Better Life and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
~ Dec.
The Tree of Life
Watching the trailer, I'd kind of expected what this movie was going to be like, but watching the movie makes it real.
Twenty minutes into it, I officially got even more judgey: this must be a movie made by a group of people who rarely shave and dress sloppily, and whose conversations are only understood by one another. They must have actually come up with a good story -- of a complex relationship between a son and his father -- but decided to throw in some randomly shot (but beautiful!) nature images that they've already had in their cameras as well. You know, who cares if they look like out of place.
The cinematography for the actual movie, the parts where there are actual people moving, is amazing, by the way. The nature shots are great too, but I seriously can't treat them as part of the movie.
Shame
Probably my favourite this year. Blogged about it here.
The Way Back
It's a story of a group of POWs who escaped from a Soviet Siberian camp during WWII. It's inspired by The Long Walk, a book by Sławomir Rawicz, which he claimed was based on his own experience. (There's a controversy surrounding the validity of the book -- whether it was actually someone else's account or even a true story at all.)
I've wanted to see this movie for a long time but didn't have the courage to. While I do have an inexplicable love for depressing movies, it does come with the two sides of my brain debating whether I should watch them or not. I had a feeling it would remind me of Andersonville, this brutal movie about a POW camp during The American Civil War. Turns out, The Way Back is not as depressing as I thought it would be. (Jim Sturgess of 21 and The Other Boleyn Girl plays the main character.)
How long and tough is 6,500km, by the way? Not very. Just from Siberia to India -- through the Gobi Desert, Tibet and the Himalayas -- on foot, under extreme weather, with very little food and water.
War Horse
I haven't seen The Artist yet, but I'm positive this is The Artist for horses.
The Descendants
I used to imagine Hawaii only as beautiful beaches and grand, green hills. Stepping on its ground must feel like stepping on another planet where the water is green and blue, and people don't have to go to work and/but live happily ever after. Hawaii in The Descendants looks almost depressing, quiet and mundane.
Comments