Movies

The theme is survival.

Alive
It's a 1993 movie based on the true story of a Uruguayan rugby team that was involved in a plane crash in the Andes in early '70s. Stranded with no food and hope of being rescued for more than two months in extremely harsh conditions and weather (some were injured, and at one point they were hit by an avalanche), they had to resort to cannibalism -- eating their dead friends, not that they were killing each other -- to stay alive. They also had to find ways to stay warm and climb the mountains with no climbing equipment to get help.

The cannibalism part may change the way you look at your steak dinner from now on, but this movie is about the power of the human spirit to stay alive. Many of the survivors went on to write books, become motivational speakers and speak about their experiences in the Andes. About the crash and rescue here.

The Great Escape
Also based on a true story, it's a 1963 movie about a mass escape by Allied POWs from a German camp during WWII. This was also the first time I heard about Steve McQueen and the original The Thomas Crown Affair, which I hope Cinemax will show soon.

Now I'm thinking of the excuses I'd use for not achieving my goals.

Comments