I Still Would Like to Believe That I'm Smart

One morning, when I was still with the Hell House, I switched my PC on to a blank screen. Due to the time I was in the office (6AM), the call to our help desk was routed to one in the US. After spending half an hour checking a gazillion things, this nice guy halfway across the globe asked, "Did you check if there is [...]?" Err, yeah. There is. Awkward...

_____

No one over here has a good relationship with That Internet Service Provider. No one. And poor the customer service staff. Their job must be very stressful. I'd need meds if I were them.

The first few months of me being their customer weren't pretty. Having to reset your password multiple times a day the entire week, repeat yourself for 20 minutes and wait for another three hours for it to be processed each time were not fun. I didn't get any kinder with every call.

But after a while I learned that being angry and mean was no fun either, so I told myself to stop doing that. At some point, I was the one who needed the meds.

So, don't you just hate yourself when you're very sure that the error has nothing to do with your settings but solely with theirs, and it turns out the opposite?

Earlier this year, I had a problem with my phone and internet. After a long, joyless conversation (I was positive none of the solutions they gave over the phone made sense), a technician dropped by and all he did was remove one of the cables off my phone and the said problem mysteriously solved. I swear the cable had never been a bother all this while.

I had a problem with my local area connection yesterday, so I got the network card replaced. When I tried to log on again, it still said 'network cable unplugged'. I called the ISP again and tried everything they passive-aggressively-questioning-my-intelligence told me to do: changing the cable ports -- one to PC goes to modem and one to modem goes to PC -- seriously? The collective phone calls must have taken hours.

Since I've replaced everything possible: modem, network card, cable, and none seemed to work, the customer service finally agreed to send a technician.

The technician came and *gasps, not again* took two seconds to connect the cable to another port. Shoot! There is another port, people! God, I wanted to hide under the bed and refused to be found until Friday. Unfortunately, or should I say fortunately, the error message still popped up. But I was relieved to see it, so, you know, this wasn't caused by my inability to think hard enough. I then almost too quickly agreed to get my network card checked at the computer shop again, so the technician left.

But somehow, after 10 minutes or so fiddling with the PC on my own, it was connected! While I'm not sure who should be credited for what, thank you for showing up at the right time.

Comments