Instant Meds


I think I heard about this from Anthony Robbins' Unlimited Power that I read ages ago. So I'm sure
- the version that I've been practicing is not exactly the one taught in the book. There should be a couple of steps involved, and by now it's safe to conclude that I only remember the last step.
- it's easier to appreciate it if we read the whole process or, even better, the whole book.

If I'm being honest, on most days every day several days a month, I'd wake up in the morning thinking of excuses to skip work or imagining the various scenarios where my meeting that day would turn disastrous.

The "trick" says we can instruct our brain to disengage the negative thoughts -- doubts, fear, lack of motivation -- and get our mind and body to act by giving it a cue, an instant reminder, which can be simple actions like touching your wrist, squeezing your hands etc.

So, whenever I feel like taking that extra 60 10 minutes after 10 minutes in bed and refuse to open my eyes, I'd squeeze my hands*, and the next second I'd find it easier to get up and hit the shower. (I know, right?) I imagine it's supposed to work like a recovery wristband or a diet bracelet that reminds us to stop doing or eating things we are not supposed to.

One challenge, though -- sometimes when the alarm clock goes off, and you know it's time for you to get up, you may find yourself needing another cue to squeeze your hands...

*And now you are thinking... that's what an alarm clock is supposed to do in the first place. NO IT'S NOT.

Image: bluntcard.com

Comments