Telescope

Occasionally, I need Oreos and milk. During these times, I'd dutifully make a quick run (drive) to the nearby supermarket to get just these two items. Apparently, I've been nicknamed 'Oreos' by the supermarket staff because of this. Ugh, don't we have a supermarket-client privilege or something? So now I've decided to go back to the old store that I always went to before this new store was built.

When I'm out working, I'm all happy when strangers come up to me and say things like "I always see you around here, who do you have a meeting with? Where are you attached to? What do you do?" I'd be all smile and friendly back and make sure we'll exchange cards before we part ways.

But once I'm done with work and driving home, sometimes I love to be left alone after trying to connect to and please people all day (not a complaint, I love making people happy).

So when I was at the neighbourhood bank, I cringed when the staff asked, "Still staying in _____?"

What?

"Err yeah."

"Haven't seen you in a while. I always saw you there last time."

"Which block is yours?" I asked.

"XX."

And mine is YY! HowTH can you spot me when you live two buildings away, while I don't even know who my next-door neighbour is? I need a new bank.

I often get similar questions and "His" and "Hellos" from a few other people in the neighbourhood as well. I know they are just being friendly and making small talk, but sometimes I find it creepy. What? Do they know what I wear at home as well? What I drive? What time I'm home? I'm sure I've tried my best to blend into the wall when I'm in the area... so why are you monitoring my Oreo purchase?

Ok, forget the fact that I have a blog and broadcast my thoughts on the internet, I'm a very private person. Really.

Comments