Breathe

A bit about last month -- after about a week of staring at the ceiling, I finally got out of the bed and spent the following week... taking care of others, if you can believe that 🤷🏻‍♀️.

So I spent the night for one whole week at my sister's place while my brother-in-law was abroad: keeping everyone company, babysitting my nieces, sending them to their tuition classes, making sure they have their dinner, even organizing a tiny picnic party. (My sister's currently taking her degree, her classes are at nights, and it was the exam month. So I was officially The House Manager for a week and would still be at my desk at 9 daily, which, by the way, is about 55 kilometres from their house.) It went well. I think. No, I know they had a good time having me around. They should.

(And when I say picnic party, it usually involves no more than six attendees, and the menu is usually what is offered by 7-Eleven and roadside stalls.)

(I also spent a couple of hours helping my other sister with her driving test, her third for the record, and she finally passed. There is no way I'm not taking credit for this.)

I'm thinking of what to get my mother for Mother's Day. Our family doesn't celebrate these kinds of days, but maybe I can plan a lil' surprise for her this year. Like asking her if she could possibly bail me out of my little situation. Haha. "Happy Mother's Day, Mom. By the way, do you happen to have [state favour needed] stashed away somewhere?" How's that for always believing that I should stop being bailed out by my parents on the day I receive my first (post-school work) salary?

Please note that other people can do whatever works for them. This is just for me, mainly because I don't come from a rich family. (So I'd always have this waiting tables or retail jobs during college. The latter was fun, by the way.) Otherwise, I'd probably want my parents to pay my bills too.

Or maybe, maybe, even if I did come from a rich family, I'd like to believe that I'd still have this dream of making it on my own, I don't know, something like that. A friend once said that I'm the type of person who could be thrown anywhere and would still survive. So now that I'm back at the very familiar square one, something is wrong with me. And I don't want to just survive.

By the way, my sister's neighbour, who takes care of the kids' lunches, is a super generous woman. She'd send us delicious, freshly homemade kuih almost every afternoon after I got back from work. God, I so can live with that.

Comments