Movies

Thoughts on:

1) Nights in Rodanthe
It's a story of two people who meet at an inn in Rodanthe while in the midst of trying to deal with conflicts in their lives. This is your standard romantic drama. What's more important is, the inn is beautiful. I don't mind spending three months a year there.

2) Valkyrie
Did you know that there were 15 known assassination attempts made on Hitler? (Yeah, same.) The 20th of July plot was said to be the final attempt made by the German resistance. Its failure resulted in thousands of people being executed, including Colonel von Stauffenberg (played by Tom Cruise), one of its key plotters, who was executed by a firing squad on the night of the attempt. Sometimes this is the reason I feel guilty saying "I love war movies." Real people die and suffer because of war.

3) Australia
I've never heard of the Stolen Generations before. (The words esky, brekkie and "How are you going" that means "How are you," yes. Stolen Generations, no.) So this was a pretty horrifying discovery for me.

If you love a combination of history, war, romance, stories of people with huge hearts and determination -- or just Hugh Jackman -- this is probably for you.

While the movie is long (three hours) and comes with a long list of themes, it's not really heavy.

4) Marley & Me
This will either make you cry, laugh or yawn. Maybe you'll go all three -- maybe in reverse order.

Comments