Past

People ask, "Why did you do that?" when I tell them that I left BLEEP and the Hell House (my former employers) to do what I do now (err, thank you?). When you allegedly have good things going for you, why let it go? (Ok, BLEEP does give a not-too-bad pay, and people sort of assume that Hell House does the same.) Anyway, I was pretty much at the bottom of the food chain in both. I'd take ANY pay and just be grateful that I can pay the bills.

My response to them was, "They were just not for me, and vice versa." BLEEP prides itself on encouraging employees to work from home. How do we do that, I'll never know. We stayed in the cubicle 18 hours a day. Other things I remember about BLEEP: for perhaps the world's leading IT company, it uses a last-century accounting system, a dinosaur-age database and Lotus e-mail. I had at least eight passwords to have access to my work.

But... I enjoy mentioning to my current clients that "Owh, I was with BLEEP and Hell House before..." and seeing them impressed. They don't have to know the details, do they? Especially you know how some companies love giving pretty titles to their employees when what I actually did was like... never mind.

So I'm thankful for the time I had at both -- for making up one of my selling points (I don't know how long I can stretch this) and finally concluding it for me that maybe I should try doing something else. Most importantly, Hell House was kind enough to take a fresh graduate who had nothing to offer like me and teach me a lot of things that others wouldn't. Plus, I was lucky to meet many of my friends there too. (We don't talk about the not-so-friends.)

Ok, I thought I wasn't into writing about this part of my life*.

Pay, brand, title, post -- everyone's entitled to their own opinions and pursue whatever they want.

*because there is no point in it, which I'm even more convinced of after reading this whole rambling back.

Comments