The Weekend Trip

My number one favourite food in Melaka is kuih udang especially the one in Alor Gajah. My second favourite is probably the ikan bakar and seafood in Umbai -- plenty of choices, delicious and not as expensive as those in KL. I think.

Over the long CNY weekend, I stopped by Melaka's Mini Malaysia and Mini ASEAN on my way back from a cousin's engagement kenduri. The parks are pretty, and they do have an impressive concept and replicas of Malaysian traditional houses. Unfortunately, I felt like they were a little bit unfinished. I wish the collections and the cultural show were more expansive. Assuming my judgment was not distorted by the exhausting four days of constant driving in congested traffic no matter where I went.

But the exhaustion made me sleep like a baby at night (which means deep sleep, because babies so do not wake up three times in one night). I was really hoping the three nights of good sleep could get my sleeping pattern back to that of a normal human. Back in KL on Sunday, it did not.

So, I only knew about the engagement kenduri a few days before leaving for my parents' place, so there's no way I could find an excuse not to go and I was given the honour to be one of the dulang bearers in the ceremony.

God, meminang ceremony and stuff can really be tedious (and costly!). Ok, fine, if I'm we're dying to see the world and appreciate other people's cultures, why not our own, right?

But the food at the kenduri was absolutely delicious. I swear I could finish the daging bakar and the special sambal to go with it plus the whole plate of that agar-agar santan dessert if no one was looking or my kebaya's buttons were not coming off every five minutes.

Comments