Survivor 38, Episode 14

"I SEE THE MILLION DOLLARS"

"Who's angry?"

Turns out you can build a winner's story in one week, even for someone that you've totally forgotten about, and I'm buying it! Not because this story is also about a young, good looking male who every time he goes fishing, a portion of Twitter goes hyperventilating. Totally not.

So yeah, I wish it was Victoria's story. In her laid-back confessionals yet with horns and claws, she probably had her finger on the pulse more than any other players did in the game. If only she had just two idols. Soclose.

This season did have some good weeks in the middle, but the several weeks leading to the finale were kind of rough.

But I say the finale was goood!

And I'm saying this while sipping coffee, scrolling the internet outrage at the result.

(I also get that most of the internet is hating the game, not the player. Still...)

Dear internet, the guy and ten others who were waiting this out got thrown into the twist. He used his time on exile to make friends, took risks when he got back in the game, and made the best out of the situation. It was the combination of luck and do-or-die actions. How many people would let go of the guaranteed spot at FTC and go on the flimsy fire-making challenge instead? Can they also get Lauren play her idol on them, sacrificing her own final four spot, by saying, "This is from Wentworth. Lauren has to play her idol correctly either for herself or someone else..."? How did that not sound shady to Lauren, by the way?

And honestly, the season needs this unpredictable ending. This is Edge of Extinction's Daenerys turning into Mad Queen.

But — I'd be suuuper mad if it was Joe who got back from Extinction, though. Or any of the returnees, really. So like I said, I'm sipping coffee, enjoying the internet outrage right now.

Also internet, do we think just about anyone coming back from Extinction will win? I don't think Aurora would, for example. Aurora is fine. And one of the most tear-jerking moments to me this season was when she told us about her brother and growing up in foster homes. But I don't think Aurora had that many friends on the jury. Chris started with no friends either but he got time to bond with many of them. He didn't have to play a tiring strategic and backstabbing game for 26 days. Most of his FTC votes were from the earlier jurors.

Is it unfair? Maybe. But if it was Gavin who won, then some of us would argue: How do we expect a player with only 13 days of "resume" to compete with another with 39 days?

And the finale is that good to me that it bumps the season out of my 10 Least Favourites. (In that list, I also have Fiji, Vanuatu, Thailand, Game Changers, SJDS, HHH and Island of the Idols — I don't care, I'm calling it, just look at the statues. I'm also saving a spot for the all-winners season. Seriously, how's the story of 20 people who've already received at least a million competing to get another million compelling?)

The finale also finally made me kind of get Rick. I felt for him when he told us how exhausting it was to constantly be that person on the chopping block. And when it ended with that fire-making loss, it was heartbreaking.

And what a disappointment too for Gavin and Julie, fighting to stay in the game for 39 days but in the end lost to a guy who for 26 days didn't have to vote anybody out.

So, the votes went:

Final 6, 2-0-0, Victoria:
Chris and Rick voted for Victoria.
Gavin, Julie and Lauren voted for Rick.
Victoria voted for Chris.

Final 5, 2-0, Lauren:
Chris and Rick voted for Lauren.
Gavin, Julie and Lauren voted for Chris.

FTC, 9-4-0, Chris:
Aubry, David, Eric, Joe, Julia, Reem, Ron, Victoria and Wardog voted for Chris.
Aurora, Kelley, Lauren and Rick voted for Gavin.

I still hate the redemption island twist most of the time and the returning players "captain" twist every time, but I love how this season ends.

Image: CBS

Comments