Game of Thrones 8, Episode 4

THE LAST OF THE STARKS

"Well?"

WHERE WE ARE AT RIGHT NOW:

1 Gendry is now Lord Gendry Baratheon of Storm's End. I don't think that place has ever registered on my brain. Are there even people living in Storm's End? Anyway, he also proposes to Arya and gets rejected. Then Arya and the Hound escape the crowd and ride to King's Landing ahead of Jon and Daenerys' army.

2 It is still tough to make friends in the North for Daenerys. While celebrating their victory against the Night King, everyone wants to drink with Jon, and she has to make Gendry a Lord and give a toast to Arya to get a cheer. I totally feel for her; she's me at networking events.

"What kind of person climbs on a fucking dragon? A madman, or a king," Tormund toasts Jon while Daenerys looks on. Awkward. Also, foreshadowing?

3 Daenerys tells Jon to keep his Targaryen blood a secret. Jon says he doesn't care about the Iron Throne but has to tell Arya and Sansa about it. So Daenerys got kiiind of mad, but I guess one: she still needs Jon and the North's army, and two: she still likes Jon?

At the war meeting, when Sansa suggests that they wait and recuperate before taking King's Landing, it doesn't sit well with Daenerys. But Jon says he'll obey Daenerys. So they head to King's Landing in two groups — Daenerys takes the ships and the dragons, and Jon marches south taking the Kingsroad.

4 Before they leave, people are saying goodbyes. Sam and Gilly are leaving too, not sure if it's for the Oldtown or Horn Hill, but with a baby on the way. And Tormund, who is also broken-hearted (see no 5), is heading back North with Ghost and the wildlings.

In a family meeting, Arya and Sansa tell Jon that they don't trust Daenerys and remind him that they, the Starks, have to stick together. Jon swears the two of them to secrecy and asks Bran to spill The Super Secret of Eight Seasons, which seems to make Sansa's wheels turning. "What if there is a better person?" she asks Tyrion later.

Varys' wheels have long been turning. Eight people knowing about Aegon Targaryen is not a secret, he reminds Tyrion, who seems determined to stay loyal to Daenerys.

This is the part of Game of Thrones that we love the most, right? The plotting and scheming?

5 Where we are at right now is also confused. One of my major confusions is Jaime and Brienne. Am I the only person who feels like this is out of nowhere?

6 Then we arrive at Dragonstone, where Euron Greyjoy is waiting with dozens of giant crossbows — and Daenerys gets tongue-tied and no "Dracarys"? I don't get it. Is it not within range? Because those crossbows then destroy the fleet and get Missandei captured. Oh, before that, how did I forget this: those crossbows also hit Rhaegal, and Daenerys is now down to one dragon.

7 By the way, Bronn was at Winterfell, interrupting Tyrion and Jaime's night of drinking and gossiping before they left for King's Landing, demanding Highgarden in exchange for the two Lannisters' lives. Ooohh, I like Bronn, but I think that kind of blackmail is going to get him killed one of these days.

8 And we lost Missandei. How is walking to the gate of King's Landing, asking to get Missandei back from Cersei just like that is going to work, I'm not sure. And why didn't Cersei just shoot Daenerys and her entourage right there and then, I'm not sure either.

Image: HBO

Comments