Game of Thrones 8, Episode 5

THE BELLS


The thing about Game of Thrones is, we can't wait to find out the ending, but we also don't want it to end that quickly.

Eight years of epic entertainment and surprises, and after this episode, there are only 80 minutes left of the show. So we are checking off speculations and prophecies at lightning speed this episode, and axing people left and right. They are all going to die — we just want each of the deaths to be more creative and unexpected than the last.

"Varys got torched by the dragon."

"Just torched? What a letdown."

I am kind of disappointed with the way Varys dies, though. I wish he had lived to old age and done whatever it was that he meant by doing things "for the realm". I wish the show had surprised us with the Hound too. With all his pessimism, he deserved to live a long life.

Jaime and Cersei's deaths were kind of ok, right? Granted that we didn't see the bodies, they had to die either by killing each other or — if that fails — in each other's arms. Really, there is no midway point for these two.

While many have speculated about Daenerys turning into the Mad Queen, I heard people were also angry that an eight-season character arc got destroyed just like that. I say this Mad Queen narrative is great. This is the brave, honourable Ned Stark trying to fix the Crown and got executed, or Robb Stark avenging his father and got killed in a wedding massacre. So when a woman works hard for what she wants, God flips a coin and turns her crazy.

But we are still in for a surprise, aren't we? Because even if Daenerys finally wins the throne, how is she going to rule Westeros? She'd torched half of King's Landing, and those who survived must really hate her now. And I can't picture Jon Snow ruling the place either. While I think Daenerys is so going to die, I hope she returns to Meereen instead. She'll be happy there. It's not the Targaryen blood that makes her snap, it's Westeros. [Insert some modern day career choice analogy.]

Ok, I'm ready for the show to end.

Image: HBO

Comments