Challenge: Saturday Breakfast -- Walk
Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash
chal·lenge
n.
4. A test of one's abilities or resources in a demanding but stimulating undertaking. ~Thefreedictionary.
I didn't have a car until my second year of working.
Taking public transport was not a problem to me then. I took public transport for 20 over years of my life. When everyone was driving in uni*, I stayed off campus and took the bus so I could stay in a house and have a room that I liked, and it would be easier for me to get to my part time job** after class.
(*I was in a uni where only about 20 people taking the public bus. Thirty if you count the cleaning staff.)
(**Want to read about that time I got company walking home?)
But once I bought the car, I felt like my feet needed more rest and my makeup should last for at least two minutes. Which is a waste in another way because when I spent a few months in City X, I walked all the time and my weight was all time low. Ok, it was a different weather.
But the point is, if I could... if I'm willing to walk more, I actually can worry less about exercising. My client, who happens to be my neighbour, although a huge boss in a bank, doesn't own a car and he weighs the same for the past six years I've known him (ok, how do I know this?). But he doesn't wear makeup and high heels. And his hair would stay the same even after a tornado. We women, unless the wind is blowing towards our face and gently too, basically need minimal wind movement.
I was thinking maybe I should go to my Saturday breakfast, walking. So this morning I put on my sports shoes and brought a knapsack as I needed to get some stuff from the mini market and photocopy some documents as well, and walked to breakfast. The entire excursion until I got back home took me a total of... 45 minutes(?) Well, that's kind of... not too short... right?
Anyway. It felt good. I even thought my skin was glowing!
I am that person who can only park my car in front of the door or elevator these days. Anything more than 10 steps, I'd need a buggy or an escort with an umbrella. If I have to go to two places separated by more than five doors, I'd park my car, go to the first door, get into my car, move forward, park again and go to the second door.
So I started making plans. Maybe next week I can even walk to pasar tani and buy fish and veggies as if I've been doing it for years.
And I started to judge everyone I saw driving this morning.
How hard is it to walk once a while, people?
Stop polluting the environment!
Or possibly, they drove because their car didn't break down this morning.
That's right, Henry my car has not been feeling too good since mid this week (cars have feelings). I think it was the heavy rain that he had to brave through. He's going to be fine soon, though.
Ok, I hope I will still be walking -- by choice -- to breakfast next Saturday morning.

Comments