National Whining Day (1)

A number of small things have been bothering me today. The two sides of my brain have been busy arguing, debating, sulking and coaxing each other over them all day.

Then I remember I have a blog.

1) The shower head in my bathroom is old and rusty, and the water goes to 300 different directions.

Once, a plumber quoted RM180 to fix two sets of my toilet seat covers. I thought about alternatives for the first time, so I fixed them myself -- bought two pairs of screws for less than RM10.

(I used to call a plumber to unclog the sink when I should just buy an RM12 declogger-in-a-bottle -- to name one of my many survival skills.)

(To be continued...)

2) My car is reliable, loyal and has taken me, my family and friends everywhere. He's always there when I need him. I'd cry, curse, sing and laugh, and he'd just listen, understanding. Not once has he judged me. For this post, it's just polite that you, too, call him Henry.

Last Thursday, my usual service centre (Henry's manufacturer) asked me to replace a part of Henry. Sometimes when advised to replace parts, I would bring Henry to other centres for a cheaper price.

So I went to get the part replaced today, and now I believe that I might have been ripped off. I did call a few other shops to survey the price, only after I got home.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time that I've been ripped off by a mechanic. Annoyed that I haven't learned.

On top of the first part, apparently there's another part of Henry that needs to be replaced as well. (I just got it serviced two days ago!) I told the mechanic I'll put that on hold for a few days.

Maybe this is only in my head, but now I feel Henry is slightly shaking and making a sound too. Right after I replaced the first part? I don't understand.

However, you know when you don't feel like asking back or arguing with your service provider and would rather just move on? That's how I feel right now.

3) I caught a cold last month after years of not catching any. So I expected the next cold would be years from now too, but I caught another one last Wednesday. I kept trying to remember what happened or what I did this week that caused it. I think I know what it is now -- the foxing and dust from my old books! I remember I started to sneeze after opening them. (Could it be it? It was just a few tiny spots, and not that I had not opened the books recently?)

I went to four shops to look for silica gel packets but couldn't find any.

_____


Went to Secret Recipe, bought a Chocolate Indulgence and ate it in the car by the roadside. It was about 6+. Today better ends well.

_____


Back to 1) the shower.

After two trips to the hardware store today, I finally got the right shower set and took half an hour to fix it.

However, there's a note under the heater that says something like:

"WARNING ... this outlet is not to be connected to any form of fitting not recommended by the manufacturer."

This took both sides of my brain to debate for another half an hour.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

This hose needs to be approved by... Joven?

Have I been living and working alone for too long, my mind is playing tricks on me now?

Oh wait, I swear I can smell something now...

This is supposed to be so simple. How difficult could changing shower hose be?

I considered it done in the end and showered anyway.

Called three friends after that. Was reassured that it should be fine.

Will attend to Henry again sometime soon. I'm sure he's fine too.

Comments