Babysitting Nieces
(Hi! How have you been?)
Early this month, I babysat my nieces for two days while their parents went back to my hometown. My first task for the weekend was to attend my niece's taekwondo tournament.
I arrived at 9.45 in the middle of the opening speech (my niece arrived earlier for registration), and the first match started at around 10 with the youngest ones, 7-9 year olds, went first. OMG these kids were awesome. With their vests taking up one-third of their bodies, they were basically miniature ninjas. (During the half-time breaks, these miniatures were fed water and attended to by their coach like they'd just saved the world from Godzillas.) Some were crying in pain but got back up and finished the match. I almost teared up watching this, and these were other people’s kids!
The point is, I wanted to have a seven-year-old in a taekwondo match too. He/she will wear the cutest taekwondo outfit and be the most awesome kid in the room. And I will be beaming with pride the whole day.
I ended up watching three million matches because my niece’s only started at 5+. She was worried and quiet before the final match, not satisfied with her performance in the earlier match. After she was announced the winner in the final match, she finally had a smile on her face -- for about 3.17 seconds -- then when she was walking towards me, she started to cry.
Ok, while I was so proud, I wasn't prepared for this actual crying thing. But meh, we were back to normal after five minutes.
We left the hall at 7+ after the medal-giving ceremony and went to... McDonald's afterwards. We are so fun, and rich.
I should also tell you that by 2PM I no longer wanted a seven-year-old kid competing in taekwondo tournament. The hall was hot. I was sweating and hungry (for a while I refused to leave my seat because I got the best seat) and had practically learned every sparring technique there is and just wanted to lie down in front of a TV instead.
Early this month, I babysat my nieces for two days while their parents went back to my hometown. My first task for the weekend was to attend my niece's taekwondo tournament.
I arrived at 9.45 in the middle of the opening speech (my niece arrived earlier for registration), and the first match started at around 10 with the youngest ones, 7-9 year olds, went first. OMG these kids were awesome. With their vests taking up one-third of their bodies, they were basically miniature ninjas. (During the half-time breaks, these miniatures were fed water and attended to by their coach like they'd just saved the world from Godzillas.) Some were crying in pain but got back up and finished the match. I almost teared up watching this, and these were other people’s kids!
The point is, I wanted to have a seven-year-old in a taekwondo match too. He/she will wear the cutest taekwondo outfit and be the most awesome kid in the room. And I will be beaming with pride the whole day.
I ended up watching three million matches because my niece’s only started at 5+. She was worried and quiet before the final match, not satisfied with her performance in the earlier match. After she was announced the winner in the final match, she finally had a smile on her face -- for about 3.17 seconds -- then when she was walking towards me, she started to cry.
Ok, while I was so proud, I wasn't prepared for this actual crying thing. But meh, we were back to normal after five minutes.
We left the hall at 7+ after the medal-giving ceremony and went to... McDonald's afterwards. We are so fun, and rich.
I should also tell you that by 2PM I no longer wanted a seven-year-old kid competing in taekwondo tournament. The hall was hot. I was sweating and hungry (for a while I refused to leave my seat because I got the best seat) and had practically learned every sparring technique there is and just wanted to lie down in front of a TV instead.
Comments