The Boys Are Back


Adapted from a memoir, it's a story of a newly single father and sports writer, Joe, who suddenly finds himself responsible raising his two sons alone after his second wife died. His older son, from his previous marriage, lives with his first wife in the UK and initially comes to visit. The plot's here from Wikipedia.

It's tear-jerking and funny and literally a beautiful movie too, mostly shot in Australia in pretty houses with breakfast on the porches. Though thinking about it now, there were only two breakfasts on the porch. The rest were probably served while running and yelling. And maybe the kitchen was kind of messy.

The philosophy is "just say yes", the parenting is unconventional, the older son is a-bit-of-a-rebel teen who tries to bond just as much as the rest of the family, and the 6-year-old has a lot to say.

_____


I'm also currently watching Pillars of the Earth
OMG I love medieval drama, especially one made with this scale and details. The 8-part miniseries centres around the construction of a cathedral during The Anarchy, the civil war in the 12th century. I've been looking for spoilers behind the ring and Jack's father since the series started but find nothing on the internet. This not knowing does not really go well with me. Somebody, please let me know.

Downton Abbey S1
Also a period drama, it takes place in the early 1900s and follows the lives of the Crawleys, the Earl and Countess of Grantham and family, and their staff. I read that season 2 will also cover World War I and a number of historical events, which all sound great to me. Also, I feel like including "How splendid!" and "Indeed" in my daily conversation from now on.

Off the Map
This is Grey's and Private Practice set in a remote South American village. You can easily find a Meredith, Christina, Alex or Derek in the series. It's still a good show, but we're probably ok with the fact that it's not renewed for a second season.

Big Love, the fifth and final season, starts today at 10 on HBO.

Poster: Walt Disney Studios

Comments