Awkward Introduction (1)
Earlier this year, I was to pass a package from a friend Z to another friend Y. We set the meeting at a coffee shop, and it was supposed to be a quick chat of what was required from the package and a brief catch-up (we don't see each other often) while her husband ran some errands. Turned out, the husband came along too.
Here's something that often amuses me: how it is ok that we don't introduce our company.
Y has never properly introduced me to her husband. I think it's weird since Y is -- maybe not super close but still -- a good friend of mine. I didn't know him while they were dating, and the whole process was pretty quick. I went to their wedding, and I think I got a nod from him or something, or nothing at all, I don't remember. Did he drop by our table and say thanks for coming? Definitely not.
And when they turned up at this coffee shop meeting, he did not smile at all! The only way I can describe the whole situation is, well, I don't actually know. How do you explain a person who doesn't smile back at his wife's friend who's grinning happily the moment she sees them?
Haha, scratching my head right now. I'm whining because people don't smile back at me.
Social is not my best skill
Out of habit from work, I smiled regardless, said hi, asked how they were doing etc while awkwardly facing two people, one of them was from Planet Gloomy and my only recollection of his name was from the wedding card that I briefly saw two years ago. I think I did get a total of 3 and 1/2 words from him.
To be fair, I think this guy is not alone in this world. Some people conveniently pass it off as being reserved. And to some others, it's totally normal to not introduce. I notice many expect things to flow from the conversation that may take place. Or people just ask about other people from other people.
Image: bluntcard.com

Comments