High-Wire Balancing Artists
A few days back, I was on Yahoo Messenger with my friend Ave, who stays in the north.
"I've never felt so tired. Like my body is torn apart. I work like hell. The 'New York' assignment is killing me. And I've to go through this again next year, you know. It'll never end. When is it going to end?"
Those were plus minus her words, and I didn't know the right way to respond to them. At times I find "just take a break" is a funny advice. I think she'd agree. If she could take that break, she didn't need anybody to remind her that.
I hope I'm done with work that's making me hate myself, like years back when I was in a different field and term, clocking 80 hours a week, doing things that I wasn't able to appreciate. My huge respect to those who are still doing it, even more so knowing that they love what they do and are very good at it too.
With no qualification to give real advice, I did what other people with the same capacity would do: give one anyway. I typed something back, hoping to make her feel better. Carrie Bradshaw has a lot to answer to (or Samantha, I think Ave is a fan of Samantha).
We continued sending messages to each other, and at one point she said, "Hey, you are right. Thanks. Think I'm ok again. Really appreciate that."
Silence.
Actually, by the time I'm writing this post, I've already forgotten the last thing I said to her that made her say that.
"What about you? How far are you from your numbers?" she asked.
"40%."
"What? It's four months left!"
I know.
We are in a society that values hard work and nothing but the best.
And you haven't heard about another friend of mine, Doll-bin, who's worried (and sometimes feels poor) with her 5-figure income.
Image: HBO
"I've never felt so tired. Like my body is torn apart. I work like hell. The 'New York' assignment is killing me. And I've to go through this again next year, you know. It'll never end. When is it going to end?"
Those were plus minus her words, and I didn't know the right way to respond to them. At times I find "just take a break" is a funny advice. I think she'd agree. If she could take that break, she didn't need anybody to remind her that.
I hope I'm done with work that's making me hate myself, like years back when I was in a different field and term, clocking 80 hours a week, doing things that I wasn't able to appreciate. My huge respect to those who are still doing it, even more so knowing that they love what they do and are very good at it too.
With no qualification to give real advice, I did what other people with the same capacity would do: give one anyway. I typed something back, hoping to make her feel better. Carrie Bradshaw has a lot to answer to (or Samantha, I think Ave is a fan of Samantha).
We continued sending messages to each other, and at one point she said, "Hey, you are right. Thanks. Think I'm ok again. Really appreciate that."
Silence.
Actually, by the time I'm writing this post, I've already forgotten the last thing I said to her that made her say that.
"What about you? How far are you from your numbers?" she asked.
"40%."
"What? It's four months left!"
I know.
We are in a society that values hard work and nothing but the best.
And you haven't heard about another friend of mine, Doll-bin, who's worried (and sometimes feels poor) with her 5-figure income.
Image: HBO

Comments