Survivor 36, Episode 10

"IT'S LIKE THE PERFECT CRIME"


This feels like the peak weird episode for Laurel. It's great that she's in an alliance, but how is being in an alliance with two people who are way more powerful than her is her only option? Or at the very least, how does ratting out Desiree look good on her or -- I hate to say this -- not make her look like merely Wendell's minion?

The episode starts with Desiree's visibility spike. She approaches the original Malolos with a plan to vote out Kellyn, Wendell and Domenick because she didn't come to Fiji to be told what to do. She came to Fiji to make big moves. So far so good. Especially when she realizes that she's on the bottom of the Naviti alliance.

But we're pausing that for a bit to get to the reward challenge: a paddling and puzzle challenge (the former usually comes with quality drama eg. Kat and Colton on Blood vs Water). It was a schoolyard pick for two teams of five, which means one person doesn't get picked, and it's Donathan. Chelsea, Jenna, Kellyn, Michael and Sebastian win a picnic reward and are flown to the location by a helicopter. So immediately, Sebastian doesn't think food is that important if you can get such a high like one from the ride, just to stick to his theme from past episodes.

Angela from the losing team draws the white rock and is sent to Ghost Island. And let's get this over with: she gets to play the Ghost Island game but doesn't win anything. She loses her vote at the next tribal instead, which also does nothing to the week's tribal result.

Back at camp, Michael and Donathan look for an idol. Donathan finds one first, then another under the shelter, which were Scot's and Tai's from Kaoh Rong. The idols, combined, work as a regular idol (a downgrade, if we are being particular here, you know, since the f-ing stick was upgraded into an actual idol), and basically all of the Malolos are there when Donathan retrieves it.

Also at camp, Laurel starts the cringing telephone game. She tells Domenick about Desiree's plan, then Domenick tells Kellyn, and that's not the end of it.

But we have to pause again for the immunity challenge. And not only we have to watch Chelsea, she also wins the balancing challenge! (Seriously, I'm sorry if I've ever mocked her lack of screen time, I take it back.) So, yeah, this is so much Chelsea.

Back at camp, Kellyn asks Desiree about her plan to blindside Naviti, and Desiree vehemently denies it even after the Malolos jump in. I can't watch this, I can't watch this, I can't watch this 🙈. But of course I watch it, with a grin on my face. The confrontation, denial and cornering continue to tribal. And in the end, Desiree goes home.

I'm indifferent about Desiree. I just feel like Laurel owes me or something -- an answer about her plan moving forward. And just when I thought, can we just lose Angela and Chelsea in one go now, the Survivor gods tell us that two persons are going home next week, which is probably one man and one woman, I don't know, but I've stated my suggestion.

Image: CBS

Comments