Survivor 36, Episodes 1 & 2

“CAN YOU REVERSE THE CURSE?”

(These boats remind me of Saving Private Ryan. Anyone know what they are called?)

No matter how whimsical it tries to sound, Ghost Island is Exile Island with a twist connected to seasons past: its occupant, chosen by the winning tribe, will have the chance to receive a misplayed idol or advantage by past Survivors and use them effectively "to reverse the curse". So, insert the contractual S16's Erik Reichenbach giving his idol to Natalie Bolton clip here.


Let's talk about players that stand out this episode:

Stephanie - I'm positive there's a regal looking bug out there on the island, a Queen with at least a three-metre-long-yellow-coloured train, wearing the same pants as Stephanie. So I hope her outfit is not a bright lighthouse that reminds everyone who to vote for, because she's smart, articulate and does not sound annoying. I have a feeling she'd do well in FTC.

Kellyn and Morgan - Apparently, another two superfans in "the most number of superfans on a season" (if you say so, Jeffrey πŸ˜‰). Just like Stephanie, I feel like these two are strong contenders to go far and will do well at FTC. The question is, do we hate Morgan's voice yet?

Donathan - Whatever you do, universe, please, please keep the Survivor treasure that is Donathan for a while. If not because for his funny lines, please keep him so that whatever tribe he'll be in next week can shove him into something.

Bradley - Bradley stands out for missing from the screen the entire episode. I know you were there, Bradley. I read the cast list and I saw a press photo. He's my winner pick for this sole reason, I don't care.

Also a proof that Bradley exists.

Michael - He's the show's walking bait to attract young viewers, right? Do what you need to do, Survivor. I want you to continue making this show. But homaigod, I cannot be a witness to the time when someone's flirting* with him and vice versa later in the show πŸ™ˆ (which he shouldn't be doing if he's still telling people he's 23).

(*There must be one, right? He wasn't there just to solve puzzles.)

Jacob - Ahh Jacob, it's almost like you got cast for your cockiness, and your inability to lay low and shut your mouth in general.

Wendell - Wendell gets an extra point for being a furniture designer because I want his cool job. He's not showing potential to be super likeable yet, but he's not annoying either, so I don't think he's in a bad spot.

Sebastian, Chris and Domenick - Sebastian and Chris are this season's Carter and Pete. And these three are not going to win. Or maybe Sebastian has a slightly better chance, if you force me to pick. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking about the likeability factor at this point, the type of contestants that you can root for in a season.

Brendan - I'm fine if he goes far, but apparently being 41 will make you among the oldest this season. He's going to stand out for that and for being a challenge threat. So there's only a little chance for him to win, I think. But hey, Rudy and Joe Del Campo went far. Good thing is, I'm a terrible predictor. I once thought Joaquin could win Worlds Apart.


And where we are at this week:

Malolo won the first challenge, which was for a reward, where they had to make strategic decisions that I'm not entirely sure I understand even by the time I'm writing this. Then they lost the first two immunities, losing Gonzalez and Jacob, and had Jacob and Donathan sent to Ghost Island by Naviti.

Gonzalez left a few minutes after announcing her excellent puzzle-solving skills and creating an awkward whisper train. I mean, if she was on the right side of the vote, the background music would be different, and she would look like a badass in what would be an exciting tribal, but that was not the case. Jacob would be a good TV, and this is probably our loss, but the guy just could not contain himself. And again, who would flaunt a real idol? With no receipt, too, on season 36?

Morgan received an idol from Jacob that he got on Ghost Island. And speaking of idol receipt, Domenick found an idol on a dark, early morning. After telling Chris he didn't have the idol while trying to reset his relationship with Chris, Domenick made a fake idol, wrapped it in the original note and told Chris that he actually found the idol. So that's a strategy too.

And to be honest, I'm not so clear on the alliances. I'll do better next week. I think.

Images: CBS

Comments