There Is More Than One Way to Live Life

Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash

Go away, people who are trying to make me feel guilty for not doing something that most people do. For the purpose of this post: for not being on WhatsApp.

In my mind, I know why I'm not on WhatsApp: 1) lack of privacy is annoying 2) being trapped in so many conversations that I don't want to be in takes so much work, time and patience.

I'll text you if there is a need to, or even when I'm just thinking about you, or if I find something funny or something that you'd like. But I won't do it incessantly all day, not even every other day or week. I understand space. I love space! My texts are well spelled, have purpose and are often funny! Ok, some recipients may argue otherwise. Small detail. The point is, I put effort into them. If I want to talk more, I'll call or we can meet up. If I like you, I'd like seeing you in person too. We'll hear each other laugh (well, subject to factors, of course), and we'll see each other's facial expressions and body language.

But it's a chore to explain to people what I don't like about WhatsApp (or Facebook. OMG, my disdain for Facebook would need three posts). To them: Why? Why are you avoiding technology? What do you mean you don't want to have a lengthy chat about my cat and how cute my three-year-old is? Don't you want to read my rants? Don't you want to read the inspirational quote that I posted as my status that may or may not be my passive-aggressive way of telling everyone my current mood? I'll judge you if you don't respond to this question I sent to the group. Are you avoiding life? OMG, are you depressed?

Too much of those annoys me sometimes.

Do I hate people? Who knows?

Do I hate social interactions? It depends, actually.

Why do I hate technology so much? I don't. I love Twitter! I only want to use those that I like.

So I stumbled upon a Quora answer today by a user on why he quit WhatsApp. It's like he's reading my mind and putting the words into organized, civil sentences. Thank you, Quora user, I've already used some of your words.

Not using WhatsApp is just one example. Most of the time, ignoring those questions is not that difficult. But 2% of the time, I have little patience when people need me to explain my life choices to them or have the audacity to ask why I'm not like them.

Ok, let's backtrack a little. It's ok to think that my choices aren't good, but please don't turn me into you if I don't want to. Unless you are super smart, funny, creative, rich, happy, kind, healthy, gorgeous, can do crane pose and are a unicorn.

Comments