Survivor 30, Episode 9

"LIVIN' ON THE EDGE"


I should stop jinxing these people.

We start the episode on the night of Hali's vote. A cute furry animal with plenty of swag wanders around the land of Merica just before the players get back. Or this could be footage from another time. Still, great cameo.

Good lines:

"I don't agree with Dan when he says flippers don't win. Flippers win the game at the right time with proper blindside." - Rodney.

I'm not sure how true that is, but any line of Rodney explaining strategy is a good line to me. Then Dan continues berating Shirin, and Shirin promises to vote for Mike when Mike gets to the end, which can also be read as "You hear that, everyone? Mike's a jury threat now" if you want to.

The preview promised that the players would be falling on their faces at this week's reward challenge. What a delicious treat to see starving, no-bed, no-shower people to suffer some more. But the preview doesn't do the actual event justice. It's way better 🍿. Chocolate sprinkle on top is when Jeff asks the losers to "swim back to camp". It looks very far from the beach! There is no way, right? Jeff just says that for the drama, and a boat totally picks them up?

Throughout the season, Jenn always has some good lines and confessionals. The over-analytical mind in some of us wonders if she's being "winner, winner, chicken dinner". It gets clearer to me now, Jenn is just being herself outside of the game. She says what's on her mind. When she's excited, she'll let you know. When she hates a whiner, she'll say "I f***ing hate you" to Rodney. And when things do not go her way, she wants out.

More good lines:

Whatever Rodney says when he's impersonating Mike and Dan.

Any resistance towards Rodney seems futile.

After seeing the Cagayan players limping following this immunity challenge, Keep on Your Toes, I decided it must be one of the cruelest and most painful challenges on Survivor -- which now includes living and having conversations with Dan. (Aww, too soon?)

And it is extra painful for Joe, thanks to Jeff. (No, these are not Good Lines™, just mean.)

"Joe's block now really is in an awkward spot."
"That cannot be comfortable, the position he's in."
"Joe's been wobbling this entire challenge (but he's still in it)."
"Got to be a lot of people who would like to see him fail today."
"Joe is out. Joe, no chance of continuing his streak. Joe, for the first time since the merge, vulnerable tonight at tribal council."

Alright, we get it, Regina.

It's even more painful to see Joe have to speak to -- plead with -- Dan about saving himself. But I guess that's a life's challenge: to bury your ego to achieve your goal. I could learn this for myself.

Then Joe makes a fake idol, which is probably the best fake idol we have on the show so far. Or second best. The best was one made by Ozzy in Micronesia. (In a secret scene, Joe says that, apparently, he went to speak to Dan so he could dash out and make this idol.)

Unfortunately for Joe, Mike is also a camp police. He keeps track of everybody and investigates fake jewelry. So regardless of how talented a jewelry designer you are, you won't capitalize on your fake idol if you make these two mistakes:
- giving the idol to a camp police.
- giving the idol to somebody, hoping that person could save you at the next vote. There is no way, NO WAY, someone with a real idol would not play it for themselves if they knew that they were on the chopping block.

So, Joe gives the idol to Mike at tribal on the condition that he's spared that night (I DON'T GET IT 🙉), and Mike asks Jeff to verify it if it's a real idol, which Jeff refuses to do unless someone's playing it.

Good lines:

"I have no idea what's going on." - Tyler at the voting booth.

"I have no idea what is going to happen tonight." - Rodney at the voting booth two minutes later.

"I still have you." - Shirin to Jenn after Joe is voted out, which is slightly creepy.

Honourable mention:

Hali's shocked face, just like last week, which I know we all don't get. In her Ponderosa video, she thought Shirin flipped and they got Will in their alliance. Bear in mind, Will has flipped since Kelly's vote.

But I feel fine now. I change my mind. Who should I jinx next?

Image: CBS

Comments