Survivor 30, Episode 8
"KEEP IT REAL"
"Rodney's plan", no matter how much you want to dismiss it, may actually work for him, Will, Carolyn and -- now out of nowhere -- Tyler. And if it does, I'm going to lose faith in what is right in the world. I've been taught all my life that kind, selfless, non-misogynistic people are those going to be rewarded in the end. If Rodney makes it to the final four, do I need to relearn life? Ugh, I don't want to!
The episode starts on the morning of day 20 in Merica, when several of its citizens argue about rice portion and salami skin, and possibly one unsuspecting tree gets punched a few minutes after.
Then, from Rodney's gross comments, the episode moves swimmingly to the reward challenge. Joe wins the challenge and brings Tyler, Will, Carolyn and Shirin for an afternoon of ziplining and pizza lunch.
The first of the many good lines said during the reward:
"Start braking. (You are) coming in way too fast." - the zip line guy to Shirin, which could also be a good advice for her game.
Joe's wanting Carolyn's soda bottle, containing the idol clue, is also good:
"I wish we had more soda." - Joe.
"Here, I don't want mine. I can't drink another sip." - Carolyn.
Then when Tyler sees Joe take the clue out of his mouth and awkwardly try to hide it, it gets too cute:
"We'll have to talk about that. You'll be scolded." - Tyler, which to everyone else is talking about the finished soda.
"It was warm. You wouldn't have liked it." - Joe.
Aww, you two!
Back at Merica, Mike spies on Joe, who's searching for the idol that Joe couldn't find. Then he sets Joe up, announcing to everyone that Joe has the idol. Joe, however, decides to lay low so people would think that he does have it, which for the life of me I don't get why. Instead of an idol, now he's just asking everyone to flush him out.
Mike finds the idol himself in the end. I just wish he didn't eat the termites, though. How's eating five termites help you other than it's just gross?
I didn't write Rodney's misogynistic comments in the previous episodes because they were hideous. I don't want to read or repeat them, or give them space. I also thought it was one drama in one episode.
Then Dan resurrects, makes even more hideous comments and insults Shirin because he's "just trying to be nice", his words. It takes a lot of strength to not write down Dan's full comment here, but again, I'm not going to give such comment a space, even just to let you know that I hate them. I feel sorry for Dan. I imagine in another world -- a perfect one -- Dan, a blue collar, full of energy and a superfan, would be so easy to root for.
Joe wins the immunity challenge. (Nicaraguan water and its waves are such a beautiful backdrop to the challenges, by the way. Also, Shirin's energy is infectious. Look at Jeff at the beginning of the immunity challenge, talking to her about the puzzle. No? Not a good infection?)
Later, tribal is short. Hali gives a lesson on Merica's history, and Tyler and Sierra continue talking about players switching alliances yet again, as if they are going to do it, while, in fact, they are just filling up time. So, in a 7-4 vote Hali-Dan, Hali is sent to the jury.
Let's talk about Joe again. The tribe division is pretty clear now, otherwise Joe and Shirin would have tried to sway the people they went to the reward with. Even if they did attempt to do so, it must have been insignificant and made no difference to the season's plot, thus not shown.
If Joe, Jenn and Shirin continue not being able to flip people to their side, the only way one of them can get to the end is by winning every immunity challenge from here on out, which is... ok, that would be magic.
At this point, Joe is almost certain to be the next Malcolm or Spencer, the underdogs you root for but who ultimately get voted out at final four or something. But it's a tougher road for Joe because he can't hide. He is the next boot since the last several episodes. Malcolm managed to hide for a little bit while Tandang and Kalabaw were eating each other. And Spencer, although a fan favourite, is not as "sweet" as Joe. Plus, while some others can still make a case for themselves at the final tribal, being in the minority alliance also means that Joe doesn't have to backstab his friends, so he's a jury threat. Winning three individual challenges is giving him some momentum, but he also needs to win the next 16 challenges.
Image: CBS
"Rodney's plan", no matter how much you want to dismiss it, may actually work for him, Will, Carolyn and -- now out of nowhere -- Tyler. And if it does, I'm going to lose faith in what is right in the world. I've been taught all my life that kind, selfless, non-misogynistic people are those going to be rewarded in the end. If Rodney makes it to the final four, do I need to relearn life? Ugh, I don't want to!
The episode starts on the morning of day 20 in Merica, when several of its citizens argue about rice portion and salami skin, and possibly one unsuspecting tree gets punched a few minutes after.
Then, from Rodney's gross comments, the episode moves swimmingly to the reward challenge. Joe wins the challenge and brings Tyler, Will, Carolyn and Shirin for an afternoon of ziplining and pizza lunch.
The first of the many good lines said during the reward:
"Start braking. (You are) coming in way too fast." - the zip line guy to Shirin, which could also be a good advice for her game.
Joe's wanting Carolyn's soda bottle, containing the idol clue, is also good:
"I wish we had more soda." - Joe.
"Here, I don't want mine. I can't drink another sip." - Carolyn.
Then when Tyler sees Joe take the clue out of his mouth and awkwardly try to hide it, it gets too cute:
"We'll have to talk about that. You'll be scolded." - Tyler, which to everyone else is talking about the finished soda.
"It was warm. You wouldn't have liked it." - Joe.
Aww, you two!
Back at Merica, Mike spies on Joe, who's searching for the idol that Joe couldn't find. Then he sets Joe up, announcing to everyone that Joe has the idol. Joe, however, decides to lay low so people would think that he does have it, which for the life of me I don't get why. Instead of an idol, now he's just asking everyone to flush him out.
Mike finds the idol himself in the end. I just wish he didn't eat the termites, though. How's eating five termites help you other than it's just gross?
I didn't write Rodney's misogynistic comments in the previous episodes because they were hideous. I don't want to read or repeat them, or give them space. I also thought it was one drama in one episode.
Then Dan resurrects, makes even more hideous comments and insults Shirin because he's "just trying to be nice", his words. It takes a lot of strength to not write down Dan's full comment here, but again, I'm not going to give such comment a space, even just to let you know that I hate them. I feel sorry for Dan. I imagine in another world -- a perfect one -- Dan, a blue collar, full of energy and a superfan, would be so easy to root for.
Joe wins the immunity challenge. (Nicaraguan water and its waves are such a beautiful backdrop to the challenges, by the way. Also, Shirin's energy is infectious. Look at Jeff at the beginning of the immunity challenge, talking to her about the puzzle. No? Not a good infection?)
Later, tribal is short. Hali gives a lesson on Merica's history, and Tyler and Sierra continue talking about players switching alliances yet again, as if they are going to do it, while, in fact, they are just filling up time. So, in a 7-4 vote Hali-Dan, Hali is sent to the jury.
Let's talk about Joe again. The tribe division is pretty clear now, otherwise Joe and Shirin would have tried to sway the people they went to the reward with. Even if they did attempt to do so, it must have been insignificant and made no difference to the season's plot, thus not shown.
If Joe, Jenn and Shirin continue not being able to flip people to their side, the only way one of them can get to the end is by winning every immunity challenge from here on out, which is... ok, that would be magic.
At this point, Joe is almost certain to be the next Malcolm or Spencer, the underdogs you root for but who ultimately get voted out at final four or something. But it's a tougher road for Joe because he can't hide. He is the next boot since the last several episodes. Malcolm managed to hide for a little bit while Tandang and Kalabaw were eating each other. And Spencer, although a fan favourite, is not as "sweet" as Joe. Plus, while some others can still make a case for themselves at the final tribal, being in the minority alliance also means that Joe doesn't have to backstab his friends, so he's a jury threat. Winning three individual challenges is giving him some momentum, but he also needs to win the next 16 challenges.
Image: CBS

Comments