Movies

Photo by Myke Simon on Unsplash

I've been slightly disappointed with the movies on my to-see list lately.


Argo

My expectation was especially high for Argo and Zero Dark Thirty. Then there are only two scenes from Argo that I like:
1) the opening scene when the US Embassy was stormed by the activists / students
2) the scene when the seven Americans fled Iran (minus the CGI)

How do you survive being held hostage in a country that is not known for being friendly to yours? Then I read how it wasn't really the US which led the escape, that the movie was not historically accurate. Sigh, it's like the time when I found out that this moisturizer I bought can't really do magic to my skin, that advertising is merely 'an invitation to treat'.


Zero Dark Thirty

The movie is slightly better than Argo at maintaining tension throughout. The first 40 minutes is especially disturbing. I only heard about waterb*arding just recently from the movie Safe House. I don't know which one is worse: waterb*arding or stripping a prisoner naked, but the latter has to be one of the lowest forms of torture done by cowards, while the leaders who motivate whatever grudges held by both sides are sitting comfortably somewhere in a room, probably enjoying lunch or, you know, pushing buttons sending dr*nes. Of course, both camps would argue that their actions are for a greater cause. What's collateral damage if you are defending your rights, right?


The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

How good can a movie be if it's just about the misadventures of living in a half-functioning hotel? (Sounds fine to me, actually.) Of course, it's not about the hotel. Of course, it has to be about life and stuff. Each character, while having their own funny lines and scenes, is created with flaws and struggles, some that many can relate to but probably are not so comfortable admitting. My favourites are Muriel and Graham. Muriel is xenophobic, and Graham is trying to find an Indian man that he fell in love with when he was young, which is strange and amazing. How do you still feel connected to someone that you fell in love with so many years ago? Although the trailer is funnier, this is still a heartwarming, funny movie.


Magic Mike

I didn't want to watch Magic Mike. I imagined it was gross, both in concept and execution.

I saw it and OMG, can I say the movie was deeper than I thought? I've never been to a strip club and will never want to. I imagine it's a place where you get lice, you know, like the kindergarten. Nevertheless, pause for a second and imagine Matt Bomer and Adam Rodriguez backstage in tiny, flashy underwear, talking casually about the weather or something while slapping bronzer on their chests and stretching their legs. Yes, that bronzer sounds wrong.

The group dance was not good (clearly I know what a good strip dance is). They were not even synchronized, which must be deliberate. I don't think the movie wants to put strip dancing in the same genre as ballet. (Also omg why am I stressing on ‘synchronized’.)

In a strange and tiny way (and probably because I want to undo seeing that many butts), the movie reminds us that small actions can have a huge impact -- that there are many things in this world you probably won't be able to change, even if you want to, but you can still do good things for people around you and very well change yourself. Yeap, I think I've just relearned that from Magic Mike.

If you are still on the fence, go watch it. This movie is not just about a line of bare butts and half-naked men grinding on anything in their way (although you'll see plenty of those).

Does it change what I think of strip clubs? Mmmmnotreally. I still think it's a place where you get lice.

Comments