Proving a Principle


I lost my mobile phones (thank God, only the phones) to snatch thieves a couple of times before. And since there is was this side of me that had to win against evil forces, I'd buy the same model the next day just to show the thieves that they can never break me *proud*.

I don't own many books, only a few that I really love -- mostly those I've blogged about, the thought-provoking pieces, like Twilight and more Twilight. I either rent or borrow the rest. While I love my clothes and shoes more, I still love these books. I think everyone has a special relationship with connection to their books. Their favourite books, I mean. Not their Advanced Financial Accounting.

I put my bookcases under the windows, which are never closed except whenever I leave town.

And my books have foxing on them now.

If I'm being stubborn here, I'll throw away all the books and buy a new set. And I'll get a new bookcase, too, and not place it under the windows this time. Although, I seriously don't think the current bookcases are exposed to direct sunlight or rain.

Or I can start keeping up with technology and get a Kindle or something, which is extremely gross. My stomach curls thinking of touching that cold, zero-character screen*.

But I really want to win against this evil force (foxing). I have to have the books back one way or another.

So I think I'm going with buying the paper book plan, which means I can spend [a-lot-of-money] to replace the books, which have about 1/1000 chance of me reading them again while I'll also have to find a way to make them foxing-free for the next many years. (Seriously, how? Do I need to quit my job and sit by my books now?)

Or I can take a flight to a neighbouring country outside my window and spend the weekend at its stupid theme park with that [a-lot-of-money]. Because books over clothes or travels really does not make sense.

But if I do that, the evil force will win.

(*I realize years from now I'll probably be condemned by the future generations for reading on paper and causing deforestation.)

Image: textfromdog.tumblr.com

Comments