Friends

The friends that you met when you were 13 will always have a special place in your life. You grew up and shared a lot of fun and embarrassing things with these friends.

I went to Sekolah A and stayed in its hostel for three years before I moved to Sekolah B in the fourth form. I bumped into an ex-schoolmate from Sekolah A a day before raya at a mall in my hometown. She told me that 'everyone is looking for me on Facebook', and by 'everyone', I'm sure she meant three people. Apparently, no one knows my phone number or what I do at this moment.

"Won't find me there. I'm not on Facebook," I told her.

"Yeah, we know. Hey, you know that we've lost a number of friends over the years?" she asked.

I was shocked and sad when she mentioned the names. These were my friends. Even if I was not super close to some of them, these were my fun, very kind classmates / schoolmates. During those years, everyone was nice to everyone most people were nice to most people. You didn't worry about trusting another soul, you got along easily, you fought and made up the next day, you had a lot of things to laugh about, and you shared a lot of things together -- everything was less complicated. And the last time I spoke to them or said hi must be... ages ago. Why did I stop making effort to keep in touch?

Then we exchanged numbers, and I made a promise to myself to get in touch with these friends when I'm back in KL.

And now that I'm back in KL, at my desk, things are back to normal and the urgency quickly fades. So, I'm spending yet another day pleasing people that I don't really feel connected to instead :).

Happy Friday.

Comments