I Love My Job

This kind of coincidence creeps me out. A few hours after I posted my previous post, I got a surprise visit from a friend I last had coffee with in Dec '07 (if my memory does not betray me).

Apparently, they were worried when I could not be contacted. I confess, I've been screening a few numbers. After trying to reach out for almost two years to no avail (because ten years would be too long?), I've accepted that not everything has to go my way. I was ready to close a chapter. I didn't expect some people would be looking for me now.

I felt guilty instantly, thank you. So I admitted to the screening... and it was awkward... but we just sort of laughed it off in the end. I think 😅.

I read that single people usually have more friends because they tend to make effort to network. I have to say it's... a challenge. Making new friends now is not as easy as it was when you were 17.

For example (as I'm going to limit this post to work-friends), I, for a start, do not have co-workers. If I don't go see clients and just work from home, I'd be alone with two lizards staring at me from the wall.

Someone commented that my work should provide me with the opportunity to meet new people as I see them every day, err, I mean, technically I should. So I should be making NEW friends on daily basis. I'm trying to imagine stopping at a makeup counter with some of my 'client-friends' now and failing completely. Really. They are nice people, I like working for them. But friends? Having coffee while trying to understand half of each other's jokes? I need weed, and a manual on how to smoke it.

(I'd have even a smaller chance befriending their PAs.)

(Also -- if these clients happen to be male -- though I have no doubt men could be good friends, trust me, girls make the best of friends. We just make better sense of everything. It's in the statistics.)

In the meantime, if you happen to bump into a lady trying very hard to be friendly, please spare a minute to entertain her. That could be me. Thank you.

Comments