Working at Home

Working at home, I know when the postman, garbage truck, mosquito fogging service and old newspaper man make their rounds in my area.

The mail is between 11-12, garbage at 2, mosquito at around 5 in the morning, and old newspaper Fridays at noon. And the apartment's janitors push their garbage trolley at 8.30 with the loudest of sound every morning. It's a low-rise apartment. My unit is on the second floor, with my bedroom facing the yard and the under-construction highway. This place is like a noise factory.

Besides that, the owner of this car across my block should leave their car keys with me, so I can help switch the alarm off. That thing goes off every couple of hours -- daily.

I also have a neighbour with an expanding collection of stray cats. The tricky thing is, the cats live under the staircase. I don't like pets, but I get it if other people do. I agree with the No Pets Allowed rule, but if you really love cats so much, go have them. It isn't my business, I think, until... they start to pee on my car. And we park our cars in the basement to shelter them from the rain. 😅

One day, one of the cats chased me to my apartment and meowed like it was in real pain, must be for food, and instantly what came to my mind was, "Why? Why? What happened to the lady? Is she...? Is sheee...??" No, she's not. I did give the cat some food, though.

I wouldn't dare say anything about the cats. There's no way I could point it out, even in the nicest way, without sounding like a b*tch. In fact, every time I bump into her giving the cats food under the staircase, I'd smile and sort of give her this approving nod. I bet everyone else in the surrounding units does that too.

Without the cats, my car isn't the cleanest car of the year anyway. I last washed it six months ago. But try this: use your wiper to clean the cat's mess on your windscreen. Got it? Good. But God bless the lady for her kind heart.

The perks of working on your own, at home, however:
  • I no longer dread Mondays that much. In fact, it's almost the one day I'm looking forward to each week now. It's the start of a new week. I'll draw a new schedule, make a new goal and hopefully have a renewed motivation level. At least until Tuesday. So Mondays are crucial and, yes, fine.
  • I can go exercise in between work, laundry and DVDs. Ok, not that I do that often, but the point is, I can.
  • I don't have to own many work clothes (ha). I can wear the same suit to the first meeting with 100 different clients. Another suit for the second meeting. And another for the third. Three suits for 300 meetings.
  • I write my own paycheck.
  • I've no bosses and colleagues. So, no office gossip and politics! How extremely relieving is that? Ok, I loovvvee most all of my colleagues-turned-friends from my previous employment that I can't think of adding any new ones to the list at this moment. Really.

The drawbacks?
  • I can do other things while working -- out for coffee, in for TV. Now I sooo think the punch card is a pretty good system.
  • I write my own paycheck.
  • I've no colleagues. I texted a friend, "I'm bored," at 8.30 in the morning because I thought it sucked to have breakfast alone. Maybe I should start saying hi to the lady with the cats.

Comments