Raya
Gathering with my family is almost the only thing I always look forward to for raya. Almost -- because I also always look forward to eating all the food.
The day before, 12/10.
The long holiday weekend started early in the morning with me fetching my younger siblings. We had sahur at McDonald's, headed out to Johor at 5.30 and reached parents' house at around 9. My older sister had already arrived by then, and we* all went out for some last minute raya shopping. (*Twelve people, including three below 12-year-old. Plenty of drama was involved.)
My sister made mee udang for berbuka, and my eldest sister arrived at 8. Everyone loves the pineapple tart that Jones recommended. She helped choose and order all my kuih raya this year. It's also my nephew Nirzdan's 8th birthday today. My sister bought two big cakes forhim us -- white chocolate and fresh kiwis + strawberries + peaches.
Day 1, 13/10.
I was so tired from washing and drying the plates and cups the night before, plus not much of sleep since Thursday, so I only woke up at 9 after they all had left for sembahyang raya. We spent the morning taking photos (me in my red out-of-proportion kebaya), entertaining guests, and serving them with delicious soto, kuah kacang and nasi himpit, lemang and rendang, tapai, cookies and cakes.
There was this family that we thought might have got the wrong house because none of us recognized them. We invited them in anyway, because when it comes to recognizing relatives, our track record has been precarious. After about five minutes of small talk, finally, my father came home and recognized them as his distant cousins.
We went to visit relatives and friends in the afternoon and reached back home at 9. I tried to reply and send out as many raya messages as possible.
Day 2, 14/10.
We gave out duit raya to the nephews, nieces and the younger siblings today. My two elder sisters then left to visit their in-laws.Thank God My mother cancelled her plan to visit her friends. So I used the 'day off' to catch up on some games, DVDs and sleep.
Day 3, 15/10.
We drove 150km and spent the whole day visiting relatives and friends (and our grandparents' graves) out of town. This time around, I had to squeeze into my very tight purple kebaya. This one took me three trips in congested traffic to get it checked, altered and re-altered, and it still ended up amazingly horrendous. I don't know what the tailor took my measurements for. Bought some delicious, hot, sticky, undercooked dodol. Reached home at 11.
Day 4, 16/10.
My mother made daging salai masak lemak cili api, sambal belacan and sup tulang. We had more guests and relatives today. My siblings and I then had to say our long goodbyes. After an ice cream break, fruits break, dinner break, a congested traffic and five hours of driving, we reached KL at around 10. How I miss everyone already.
I had a good time for the past one month -- buka puasa dinners with family and friends, and seeing a lot of them -- thank God for those and more. Financially, I hope the next raya won't be coming anytime soon.
The day before, 12/10.
The long holiday weekend started early in the morning with me fetching my younger siblings. We had sahur at McDonald's, headed out to Johor at 5.30 and reached parents' house at around 9. My older sister had already arrived by then, and we* all went out for some last minute raya shopping. (*Twelve people, including three below 12-year-old. Plenty of drama was involved.)
My sister made mee udang for berbuka, and my eldest sister arrived at 8. Everyone loves the pineapple tart that Jones recommended. She helped choose and order all my kuih raya this year. It's also my nephew Nirzdan's 8th birthday today. My sister bought two big cakes for
Day 1, 13/10.
I was so tired from washing and drying the plates and cups the night before, plus not much of sleep since Thursday, so I only woke up at 9 after they all had left for sembahyang raya. We spent the morning taking photos (me in my red out-of-proportion kebaya), entertaining guests, and serving them with delicious soto, kuah kacang and nasi himpit, lemang and rendang, tapai, cookies and cakes.
There was this family that we thought might have got the wrong house because none of us recognized them. We invited them in anyway, because when it comes to recognizing relatives, our track record has been precarious. After about five minutes of small talk, finally, my father came home and recognized them as his distant cousins.
We went to visit relatives and friends in the afternoon and reached back home at 9. I tried to reply and send out as many raya messages as possible.
Day 2, 14/10.
We gave out duit raya to the nephews, nieces and the younger siblings today. My two elder sisters then left to visit their in-laws.
Day 3, 15/10.
We drove 150km and spent the whole day visiting relatives and friends (and our grandparents' graves) out of town. This time around, I had to squeeze into my very tight purple kebaya. This one took me three trips in congested traffic to get it checked, altered and re-altered, and it still ended up amazingly horrendous. I don't know what the tailor took my measurements for. Bought some delicious, hot, sticky, undercooked dodol. Reached home at 11.
Day 4, 16/10.
My mother made daging salai masak lemak cili api, sambal belacan and sup tulang. We had more guests and relatives today. My siblings and I then had to say our long goodbyes. After an ice cream break, fruits break, dinner break, a congested traffic and five hours of driving, we reached KL at around 10. How I miss everyone already.
I had a good time for the past one month -- buka puasa dinners with family and friends, and seeing a lot of them -- thank God for those and more. Financially, I hope the next raya won't be coming anytime soon.
Comments