Top Secret

I promised to read one book every week this year. Although I've not been able to blog each of them, I’m doing good so far with the reading 🥳. And the key to that is by reading books that I like. If the rules were “they have to include various genres — politics, biography, and depressing storylines — and you have to read them regardless of whether you can connect with the writing style," I’d probably still be at book #3 right now.

So Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy were collaborating again and came out with Top Secret earlier this year, and it's the usual Bowen-Kennedy fun book: new adult, romance.

It’s the story of Keaton and Luke, who match on a hookup app Kink anonymously when Keaton is looking for someone to have a threesome with for his girlfriend’s birthday, which is her request. Yeah. What the two don’t know, however, they already know each other in real life, being next-door neighbours in a frat house. And in real life, they aren't exactly friends.

Keaton and Luke come from different backgrounds. Keaton is the rich, popular jock, while Luke is the aloof, poor guy who works two jobs and whose family keeps squeezing him for money. One thing in common, though, they are both eyeing to be their next frat’s president, albeit for different reasons — Keaton's is to please his father and Luke's is to get the free room given to the frat's president. So there are competitions, and there are also sexting.

The shorter story is, they eventually reveal themselves. Keaton soon finds himself single, and after about five minutes of shock and confusion (ok, way longer obvs, maybe even 20 minutes), they realize they are also attracted to each other and start a sort-of relationship secretly. This goes on for a while until an incident happens that makes one of them thinks it's never going to work out between them and bails — kind of the usual romance books’ twist(?)

But it’s the authors’ writing style that got me hooked. Their earlier books Him and Us were great, and so is this latest one. It’s sweet and funny and angsty-ish and the kind of book that I can’t put down. And both Bowen and Kennedy are really good at creating characters that we want to root for. Luke also reminds me of my time working while in college. Right now, I really want to hug the kid that I was back then.

This is an easy read.

Comments