Leave Your Mark
I think DKNY PR Girl was one of the best things that ever existed on Twitter. It was a fresh, smart use of a relatable, playful and inspirational character to represent a brand. I was a huge fan of the illustrations made for the character, done by Dallas Shaw. It's a shame its time on Twitter was cut short.
Leave Your Mark was written by Aliza Licht, the person behind the character. It's filled with tons of practical pointers -- from writing a resume when you have no work experience, to ways to communicate with your boss when things are tricky at work -- thus a super useful read, especially if you are just starting out.
And even if you're already years into your job, there are plenty of reminders of what to do or not to do, or what to do next, too. I wish I'd been warned of some of those mistakes before I made them myself.
This is not a book about building a brand on social media, though, if you are grabbing it because of DKNY PR Girl, hoping to learn the trick to creating a piece of magic on the internet. But just like the rest of the book, the advice in its social media section is traditional and tried-and-true. This book is a reminder to hustle throughout your career and a guide on how to avoid butchering that career from lack of PR skills. This is not the book if you are looking for some shocking, new-age career tricks. Read it.
Image: Hachette Book Group

Comments